Avid FR-5 vs Speed Dial 7 brake levers

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Avid FR-5 vs Speed Dial 7 brake levers

Postby Mike_D » January 11th, 2012, 11:46 pm

I've always used Avid Speed Dial 7 brake levers with my BB5 and BB7 brakes. Can the FR-5's be used with the BB5 and BB7's as well? To be honest, I have never adjusted the red adjuster knob on my SD7's so maybe I wouldn't see a difference????
Mike_D

Re: Avid FR-5 vs Speed Dial 7 brake levers

Postby c0nsumer » January 12th, 2012, 12:17 am

Yes, they can be. They work fine.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby RMXByker » January 12th, 2012, 6:58 am

I personally didn't mind the FR-5's. I'm like you in the fact that once I get them adjusted properly at the pads I really never felt the need to adjust the dial on the Speed Dial 7's. One note though, the FR-5's are what you would expect for an inexpensive brake lever. Nothing fancy by any means and they feel somewhat cheapish. I never had a problem with them at all but they never exactly felt great either.
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2006 Bianchi M.U.S.S. (MTN Single Speed)
2007 26" Specialized Epic Marathon (Geared full squish)
2011 Salsa Vaya (Do all bike)
RMXByker

Postby c0nsumer » January 12th, 2012, 8:12 am

RMXByker wrote:I personally didn't mind the FR-5's. I'm like you in the fact that once I get them adjusted properly at the pads I really never felt the need to adjust the dial on the Speed Dial 7's. One note though, the FR-5's are what you would expect for an inexpensive brake lever. Nothing fancy by any means and they feel somewhat cheapish. I never had a problem with them at all but they never exactly felt great either.

If I remember correctly the FR5s are only typically $5 less than the SD7s and they are silver instead of darker grey. It might be worth looking at the SD7s for that reason alone.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby RMXByker » January 12th, 2012, 9:40 am

c0nsumer wrote:
RMXByker wrote:I personally didn't mind the FR-5's. I'm like you in the fact that once I get them adjusted properly at the pads I really never felt the need to adjust the dial on the Speed Dial 7's. One note though, the FR-5's are what you would expect for an inexpensive brake lever. Nothing fancy by any means and they feel somewhat cheapish. I never had a problem with them at all but they never exactly felt great either.

If I remember correctly the FR5s are only typically $5 less than the SD7s and they are silver instead of darker grey. It might be worth looking at the SD7s for that reason alone.

When I was looking around last week for a friends bike, the FR5's were running about $10/set and the SD7s were about $20/set. I would personally stick to the SD7's if I had the choice. That is the advice I gave the friend whos looking...
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2006 Bianchi M.U.S.S. (MTN Single Speed)
2007 26" Specialized Epic Marathon (Geared full squish)
2011 Salsa Vaya (Do all bike)
RMXByker

Postby Mike_D » January 12th, 2012, 9:48 am

Thanks for the info. Just keeping my options open if I find a less expensive set of levers for a secondary bike in the stable that needs some levers.
Mike_D

Postby pharus » January 12th, 2012, 3:45 pm

That's what the swap meet at the expo is good for!
2004 Giant NRS-2
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby Buck91 » January 20th, 2012, 7:59 pm

I've always thought the FR5 to be an excellent "cheap" lever...
Buck91

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques