Avid FR-5 vs Speed Dial 7 brake levers

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Avid FR-5 vs Speed Dial 7 brake levers

Postby Mike_D » January 11th, 2012, 11:46 pm

I've always used Avid Speed Dial 7 brake levers with my BB5 and BB7 brakes. Can the FR-5's be used with the BB5 and BB7's as well? To be honest, I have never adjusted the red adjuster knob on my SD7's so maybe I wouldn't see a difference????
Mike_D

Re: Avid FR-5 vs Speed Dial 7 brake levers

Postby c0nsumer » January 12th, 2012, 12:17 am

Yes, they can be. They work fine.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby RMXByker » January 12th, 2012, 6:58 am

I personally didn't mind the FR-5's. I'm like you in the fact that once I get them adjusted properly at the pads I really never felt the need to adjust the dial on the Speed Dial 7's. One note though, the FR-5's are what you would expect for an inexpensive brake lever. Nothing fancy by any means and they feel somewhat cheapish. I never had a problem with them at all but they never exactly felt great either.
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2006 Bianchi M.U.S.S. (MTN Single Speed)
2007 26" Specialized Epic Marathon (Geared full squish)
2011 Salsa Vaya (Do all bike)
RMXByker

Postby c0nsumer » January 12th, 2012, 8:12 am

RMXByker wrote:I personally didn't mind the FR-5's. I'm like you in the fact that once I get them adjusted properly at the pads I really never felt the need to adjust the dial on the Speed Dial 7's. One note though, the FR-5's are what you would expect for an inexpensive brake lever. Nothing fancy by any means and they feel somewhat cheapish. I never had a problem with them at all but they never exactly felt great either.

If I remember correctly the FR5s are only typically $5 less than the SD7s and they are silver instead of darker grey. It might be worth looking at the SD7s for that reason alone.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby RMXByker » January 12th, 2012, 9:40 am

c0nsumer wrote:
RMXByker wrote:I personally didn't mind the FR-5's. I'm like you in the fact that once I get them adjusted properly at the pads I really never felt the need to adjust the dial on the Speed Dial 7's. One note though, the FR-5's are what you would expect for an inexpensive brake lever. Nothing fancy by any means and they feel somewhat cheapish. I never had a problem with them at all but they never exactly felt great either.

If I remember correctly the FR5s are only typically $5 less than the SD7s and they are silver instead of darker grey. It might be worth looking at the SD7s for that reason alone.

When I was looking around last week for a friends bike, the FR5's were running about $10/set and the SD7s were about $20/set. I would personally stick to the SD7's if I had the choice. That is the advice I gave the friend whos looking...
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2006 Bianchi M.U.S.S. (MTN Single Speed)
2007 26" Specialized Epic Marathon (Geared full squish)
2011 Salsa Vaya (Do all bike)
RMXByker

Postby Mike_D » January 12th, 2012, 9:48 am

Thanks for the info. Just keeping my options open if I find a less expensive set of levers for a secondary bike in the stable that needs some levers.
Mike_D

Postby pharus » January 12th, 2012, 3:45 pm

That's what the swap meet at the expo is good for!
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
2004 Giant NRS-2
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby Buck91 » January 20th, 2012, 7:59 pm

I've always thought the FR5 to be an excellent "cheap" lever...
Buck91

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques