Fort Custer Seperation Plan - TENTATIVE

MMBA trail access, advocacy, and related news (non-IMBA Chapter Topics)

Re: Fort Custer Seperation Plan - TENTATIVE

Postby risnewski » September 22nd, 2011, 7:57 pm

I camped there over Labor Day weekend and talked with one of the DNR folks. They made it very clear they were unhappy with the lack of interest on the part of Equestrians to to any trail work. And clear how much the biker's work was appreciated. Keep in mind the local DNR folks don't have a lot of control over these issues and may be just as frustrated as everyone else.
risnewski

Postby brokenbones » September 24th, 2011, 7:47 am

the lack of interest on the part of Equestrians to to any trail work.

It seems to me that if Red and Green were simply closed to horsey people, they would be FAR more motivated. They have no incentive to help out or make any changes right now. Perhaps the DNR are only giving lip service to this issue as a way of appearing to having “done something” or that they are “dealing with it”. We went away quiet and happy for another season, right?
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby Di_bear » September 24th, 2011, 7:51 am

risnewski wrote:I camped there over Labor Day weekend and talked with one of the DNR folks. They made it very clear they were unhappy with the lack of interest on the part of Equestrians to to any trail work. And clear how much the biker's work was appreciated. Keep in mind the local DNR folks don't have a lot of control over these issues and may be just as frustrated as everyone else.

All the DNR at Ft Custer has to do is say no equestrians on the mountain bike/hike trails. The "horse bill" that was passed would support that. This is not a statewide DNR issue. This is a local DNR issue.
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby dennismurphy » September 25th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Di_bear wrote:
risnewski wrote:I camped there over Labor Day weekend and talked with one of the DNR folks. They made it very clear they were unhappy with the lack of interest on the part of Equestrians to to any trail work. And clear how much the biker's work was appreciated. Keep in mind the local DNR folks don't have a lot of control over these issues and may be just as frustrated as everyone else.

All the DNR at Ft Custer has to do is say no equestrians on the mountain bike/hike trails. The "horse bill" that was passed would support that. This is not a statewide DNR issue. This is a local DNR issue.

Ditto- it was local land manager that opened the bike trails to horses to begin with.

The fact that the equestrians aren't advancing on their side of activities doesn't surprise me at all
dennismurphy

Postby AJG » October 2nd, 2011, 11:29 am

The SWMMBA began cutting OUR trails yesterday and will be continuing to do so for a few more weeks. More info here: http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=106916
AJG

Postby Washington Rider » October 12th, 2011, 11:30 am

I just learned Monday that the DNR has roughed out 7.5 miles of trail for the equestrians. This lays the trail bed and my understanding is the equestrians are going to clear the corridor along with some help from the mushers. I'm not sure how much more trail they are going to lay out. However, in talking to the DNR it sounds like we may have complete separation by springtime. They also are going to put in more gravel for the equestrian's staging area.

Sounds like progress is being made. Anyone have more on this?
Ted Welsh
Advocacy Director
MMBA

What have you done to support your local trails?
Washington Rider

Postby JRP » October 14th, 2011, 10:25 am

Washington Rider wrote:I just learned Monday that the DNR has roughed out 7.5 miles of trail for the equestrians. This lays the trail bed and my understanding is the equestrians are going to clear the corridor along with some help from the mushers. I'm not sure how much more trail they are going to lay out. However, in talking to the DNR it sounds like we may have complete separation by springtime. They also are going to put in more gravel for the equestrian's staging area.

Sounds like progress is being made. Anyone have more on this?

The DNR has been working on making the trails for the horses. not sure how much they have done, but every foot is a step in the right direction.
More importantly, the Fort Custer crew has been busy cutting new mountain bike trails for the separation. My understanding is that there are trail days planned every Saturday in October to make this happen. I was able to go last week and had a good time and met alot of cool people. They are doing an awesome job making trails and are going through some nice terrain. Check Bike Fort Custer on Face Book for more info
JRP

Postby johnnyg » October 26th, 2011, 9:30 am

update on Official Trail Separation on November 14, 2011 is posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107312
John Gonway-- insert signature here
johnnyg

Previous

Return to Advocacy