MCMBA: Kensington / Proud Lake Connector

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

MCMBA: Kensington / Proud Lake Connector

Postby Spinwheel » October 16th, 2011, 9:25 pm

AKA the "Kensignton Connector"

AKA the " Kensington - to - Proud Lake Connector "

This trail is a dedicated Hike / Bike trail - That means no horses or motorized vehicles are allowed. Equestrians also have a trail running parallel to the south.

Thanks to Bill Herman, The Kensington Metro Park and the MMBA for making it happen and maintaining the trail.

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the Kensignton Connector MTB/Hike trail.

View trail condition reports here:

http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com_tr ... =trail&cid[]=116
Last edited by Spinwheel on January 28th, 2012, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Re: Metro South: Kensington / Proud Lake Connector

Postby galaxydean » October 17th, 2011, 6:24 am

Sure wish there was a map so I could find. Then I would post conditions.
dean
galaxydean

Postby Loren » October 17th, 2011, 7:34 am

Working on it. Got a map from Bill, got it digitized, need to do some drawing and then we'll post create an entry in the trail guide for it.

The western end starts at Milford Road where the Kensington main park road intersects. The connector trail then proceeds east, connecting to Proud Lake at Old Plank Road, about 1/2 mile south of Dawson and 1/2 mile north of Buno.
Loren

Postby galaxydean » October 17th, 2011, 7:52 am

Thanks. Been trying to figure it out this summer. Sure appreciate your help.
dean
galaxydean

Postby Hermannator » October 18th, 2011, 6:11 pm

How to find the connector--
Easiest way from the West. Go to the light at Milford Road and Huron River Parkway. On the northeast corner (kiddie corner from the Dairy Queen), you will see two trails heading off the road to the north. Take the northern-most trail (one to the left). There you are. You know you found it if you have to ride uphill for what seems like a half a mile. From the east, the connector travels from Old Plank road, as was mentioned about a 1/2 mile south of Dawson road. The horse trail is to the north. The bike trail will be clearly marked as a trail crossing. The first part of the trail is a very cool uphill and then flowy downhill. Just remember to go straight when you cross over the big rocks. If you turn you are on the horse trail.

If you come in from Proud Lake Loop 4, just keep to the right on each intersection (as you travel counterclockwise) and eventually you will see a sign that says Kensington.

A very cool loop is to do Milford, then ride into Proud lake, do portions of loop 3 and 4 and then take the Connector back to the paved bike route and back up to Milford again. About 15 miles all around.

The connector is fast and watch out for hikers. There is no hunting there, so it would be a nice ride come November.

Hope this helps.
Hermannator

Postby galaxydean » October 18th, 2011, 7:52 pm

Thanks Hermannator. I will get on it this weekend.
dean
galaxydean

Postby Hermannator » October 19th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Galaxydean-

Maybe catch you out there some time. Good trail during hunting season since there is no hunting in Milford or Kensington Park.

BTW I am the proud dad of the Boy Scout who organized the building of the boardwalk you'll see 1/4 mile west of South Hill Road.
Hermannator

Postby Moto339 » October 23rd, 2011, 8:01 am

Well I found the connector which was pretty darn easy and marked very clearly in the beginning. But I do need some help as to where to go when I get into proud lake I was hoping to run into somebody when I was in proud lake but never did I could not figure out which way to go after the first intersection at least. I did put some miles in at proud lake but I couldn't tell you if I was going in the right direction are even on the correct trail. Do you have any pointers on how to follow the trail I did see green horse shoes and hikers as some of the markers. I will print up the map and bring with me to try and figure it out and give it another shot this week sometime. Thanks for all the help!! The connector is great and how awesome is it to ride from trail to trail..

Also I did see some vehicles parked on the road that where clearly Hunters. Is hunting allowed at proud lake?
What is Stopping You?
Moto339

Postby J/C » October 23rd, 2011, 9:45 am

Yes, you can hunt in Proud Lake except in the area East of Wixom Rd and South of the Huron River (light gray on the DNR map here).

Once you get into Proud Lk from the connect, go right, you'll be riding the loop counterclockwise. There's no rule on which way to ride any of the loops, but I usually ride them all counterclockwise except loop 1, which is OK either way, but I like it better CCW. These are directions recommended on an older map I have, which I don't think is posted anywhere, I can email it if anyone wants it, pm me.

Once you get out to the road (Childs Lake) from loop 4, you can continue straight across and finish the loop and come out by the RR tracks, or you could ride the two track leading away from the parking lot, take a right at the first signpost with a park map and you will come out at the same spot. Once you're there, you can start on loop 3 (there's a sign but it's not numbered, it has a green horseshoe I think). Or you could go over the RR tracks and turn left to go on Loop 2.

Hope that makes sense, John
J/C

Postby J/C » January 1st, 2012, 8:28 pm

Hiked the full connector yesterday. It's in good shape with a couple wet spots. One dead ash tree downed between Old Plank and South Hill, I think probably closer to S. Hill. Chainsaw required, but it's not hard to step over. The new boardwalk is great, just need a couple more of them!
J/C

Postby Loren » January 5th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Thanks to our friendly webmaster, Steve, we now have a trail guide entry for this trail. See

http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com_tr ... il&cid=116
Loren

Postby ihateplaindave » January 9th, 2012, 9:32 am

Nice work guys. Proud Lake and the connector are little used, old school gems (and so easy to get to).
ihateplaindave

Postby mtbr.czar » March 23rd, 2012, 6:02 pm

Rode the connector Wednesday evening starting at Milford Road. The trail is in excellent condition between Milford Road and Hill. Between Hill and Old Plank there is a 9 inch diameter tree around half way between Hill and Old Plank. It is nearly impassible at the usual wet area closer to Old Plank. Unfortunately there is an area approximately 50 yards in length near this area of severe damage to the trail caused by heavy equestrian traffic during the winter and in my opinion recent weeks. I'm disappointed since the equestrian trail mirrors the mountain bike trail in this area so there is no valid reason I can think of to ride the bike only trail in this area if you are on a horse.
mtbr.czar

Re: MCMBA: Kensington / Proud Lake Connector

Postby Hermannator » April 6th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Saw the same thing today. Very recent horse traffic in many places, again for no good reason. Some of it may be coming from the trails that cut in from the north. Same big tree is there, and I couldn't move it by hand. The section from South Hill to Milford road was sweet and fast. Maybe I can convince another Boy Scout to build another boardwalk (or set of them) in the low spots east of South Hill Rd.
Hermannator

Re: MCMBA: Kensington / Proud Lake Connector

Postby J/C » April 24th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Rode it tonight, trail is dry. Two trees down on the Old Plank - South Hill section, each at an opposite end. I will see what I can do about clearing them out, but it won't be for a few days.

John
J/C

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments