MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Spook » August 31st, 2007, 6:34 am

trail junky wrote:spook was that you who cut the big tree off the trail in the loop by the football stadium?

Thanks goes to nhjeffs for that and a few others

trail junky wrote:Sorry I missed the fun. Hey those little spots of black dirt at the bottm of some of the little climbs
are slicker than snot :shock: :shock: Should I rake those?? I think it just pools up from the rain.

Hmm need to take a look at those, some of those are turning to sand already. Worried about what removing some dirt will do, might make them hold more water.
-James

Co-TC Commerce

Semper Fi!

TeamTreeFarm
EMU Cycling
Spook

Postby lawst » August 31st, 2007, 2:02 pm

Rode Hickory for the first time today. Also the first time on the new bike (2007 Specialized Rockhopper). Loved both the trail and the bike. I think I may have gotten a bit turned around, though, and missed part of the first loop. Unfortunately, I also found this loop to be the most fun, so if I did miss part, then I may have missed some goodies. Guess that means I have to ride it again! :lol:

What I would really like is to have a guide on my next trip out. It's right around the corner from me (I live at Carey & Commerce), and enjoyed the speed and approachability of the trail.

I am going up to Caseville with the fiance for the weekend, but we will be back on Sunday. I am hoping to ride on Monday, as Law School starts again on Tuesday, and my ride availability will be down to Wednesday, Friday, Saturday (at best).

Anybody going to be riding on Monday?

I won't be able to check this again until Sunday night.
That which does not kill me ... makes me walk funny
lawst

Postby trail junky » August 31st, 2007, 2:18 pm

yes I will take ya on the grand tour however I will likely g epic on monday (60 +miles)
so if you dont get a tour by next week I can hook up with ya on a week night My office is right down the street from the Hick so 5:00 pm mon- fri is good for me. Lemekno
trail junky

Postby Apps » September 3rd, 2007, 10:21 pm

Keep an eye on www.teamtreefarm.com.....we've been doing a group ride out there Wednesdays or Thursdays the last few weeks....we meet at 6:30 generally with a 15 minute rule. Some of the same people who ride the Tuesday night Novi ride but not near as big....

Justin
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby nhjeffs » September 6th, 2007, 8:52 pm

The trail is in great shape. There is a tree down at the beginning of the FR section. I'll see if I can get out there tomorrow evening with the saw to clean it up.
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby Spinwheel » September 8th, 2007, 5:48 pm

I cleared the tree about a quarter mile before the end of the trail..

Happy trails,
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby Apps » September 11th, 2007, 7:24 am

I was out Sunday and the trail is in pretty good shape. The tree is still down right before you enter the free ride area, I'll try and get out there in the next couple of days to get rid of it. It's pretty easy to see but just keep a heads up. There are a couple other log crossings I'd like to look at too to make sure they are resting safely and securely on the ground.

Justin
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)

Apps

Postby Apps » September 14th, 2007, 2:18 pm

I managed to get out there last night and clean up the downed tree near the entrance to the Freeride area and also fixed up a little log crossing that appeared to be grabbing chainrings (and collected my brother to prove to me that it needed attention...can you say endo?) Thanks to Joel and Brian for the help!

Justin
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)

Apps

Postby bigmaddrongo » September 23rd, 2007, 10:27 pm

Trail was in great shape, some sandy spots. The group of people with paintball guns (several teens and at least one adult) running around the trail shooting at one another added an interesting element to the ride. Haven't ridden here for a few months, is this something that one should expect to run into often?
bigmaddrongo

Postby Spinwheel » September 24th, 2007, 8:48 pm

According to Commerce Township ordinances, Paintball falls under firearms, and both are banned on park property. Best thing is to phone the Oakland Cty Sheriff (phone number is on the map listed on this website) and show em where the gangsters are... don't get hit as you ride thru either !
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby trail junky » September 26th, 2007, 3:39 pm

We should start a mtb paintball ride!! at the hick that would be fun like shootin ducks!!
could you imagine tryin to shoot, not get shot and ride fast at the Hick.....nevermind wont work :cry:
trail junky

Postby nhjeffs » September 26th, 2007, 3:41 pm

I was there this afternoon and the trail is in great shape.
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby bigmaddrongo » September 26th, 2007, 5:17 pm

trail junky wrote:We should start a mtb paintball ride!! at the hick that would be fun like shootin ducks!!
could you imagine tryin to shoot, not get shot and ride fast at the Hick.....nevermind wont work :cry:

trying to ride fast and not get shot was difficult enough, I don;t think I could handle the extra effort of aiming!!!
bigmaddrongo

9/29/07

Postby ibisman » September 29th, 2007, 2:19 pm

we rode the trail for the first time and I was surprised at how nice a trail it is. I like the teeter/totter and the drops. Nice job! Very easy to get lost but fun.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby Spinwheel » October 20th, 2007, 9:32 pm

Trail's in good shape, little hard to follow in the newer sections with leaves down. Tree down after the football field I may get it tomorrow..
Tim
Spinwheel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions