MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Commerce

Postby FREEDOM35 » March 8th, 2012, 11:37 am

Was out there yesterday on my way to check out Milford. Trail was in perfect condition. The trail does not seem quite as tight as it was only a few months ago. Has someone been cutting down trees/damaging larger roots out there? Part of what makes this trail fun is how fast and tight it is, and a few trees/roots seem to be missing where I remember them.
No one likes to admit they ate nine cans of ravioli
FREEDOM35

Postby Spinwheel » March 8th, 2012, 7:19 pm

The trail was tight 5+ years ago. Today its more like a freeway.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Re: Metro South: Commerce 3/9/2012

Postby ibisman » March 9th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Did a couple laps this morning and but for the wind it was great. tree still down at the off camber switchback section next to the road.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,551.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1028---miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels
ibisman

Postby FREEDOM35 » March 9th, 2012, 4:56 pm

It's a shame. There seems to be a preponderance of "riders" in this area that like to make alterations to the trail as they see fit. I've only lived on this side of the county (formerly from Rochester Hills) for three years and have seen a steady degradation of the natural trail features. Not cool.

On another note, the Hick is in great shape again. Please try and walk the soft spots where the trail is already tore up if you can help it. The only downside to my rides at the Hick would be the very small portion of my ride (about two seconds) when I cross S. Commerce when the crosswalk sign is illuminated white. Drivers are exceedingly impatient and reckless there.
FREEDOM35

Postby Spinwheel » March 9th, 2012, 7:41 pm

FREEDOM35 wrote:It's a shame. There seems to be a preponderance of "riders" in this area that like to make alterations to the trail as they see fit. I've only lived on this side of the county (formerly from Rochester Hills) for three years and have seen a steady degradation of the natural trail features. Not cool.

If you have ideas for things that you would like to see done at a trail just contact the TC or show up to a trailday -

Its unfortunate that most trails suffer unauthorized human modification from time to time. On the other hand, trails change "naturally" over the years due to water flow and rider or hiker use. Managing a trail tread is a bit like managing a river - change occurs "naturally" as years go by, or in the case of high volume (multiple 10's of 1000's of riders per year) trails like Island Lake, Tree Farm or Maybury, they probably experience significant change in a year or two, maybe less.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Re: Metro South: Commerce 3/11/2012

Postby ibisman » March 11th, 2012, 12:42 pm

perfect. period. tree still down in the back...almost forgot about it on the first lap.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
ibisman

Postby galaxydean » March 11th, 2012, 2:12 pm

The Hick is the BEST right now. Left at 2 and have never seen that many cars there, ever. The trail is in a July like state. Ride it today!
dean
galaxydean

Postby Apps » March 11th, 2012, 8:07 pm

As everyone he said...trail is looking good.... Loads of people out there today and lots of groups enjoying the trail. Probably the most active day I've seen out there....the Hick is still holding its reputation as the first rideable trail in the area....enjoy it.

As far as the trail changing, as Tim mentioned....it happens due to a lot of reasons. Sometimes it's something as simple as someone wiping out and taking out a sapling that allows the line to change. For the most part, Commerce is still the same trail it was years ago. Natural erosion may have changed the trail a bit and now that we are actually getting riders, there have been some bandit lines that we have to keep an eye on. Unfortunately, with additional ridership we also get some extra wear, tear and even vandalism. We'll be having a trail day this spring so if you have some ideas, come on out or PM me and we can discuss it.

Justin
Hickory Glen Trail Coordintor
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby ibisman » March 12th, 2012, 8:40 am

How about a bridge over the low spot in the swamp where there is a wooden pallet like we made at Morton/taylor? I'll kick in some wood and talk to Santa cruz and see if he has any more from last year.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
ibisman

Postby ihateplaindave » March 12th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Good idea.
ihateplaindave

Postby galaxydean » March 12th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Hey I'm in with that bridge. I will also donate some lumber. I'm on a construction site where once a 2X has 1 nail in it is junk. All sizes available. Let me know.
dean
galaxydean

Postby FREEDOM35 » March 13th, 2012, 9:07 am

I am only referring to the "modifications" made by people who likely became frustrated by a root that caught their pedal or a sapling that snagged a handlebar. I figure this is what's happening given the number of posts by people complaining about log piles making the ride too bumpy or challenging (seriously, give me your bike and go buy a Segway) and witnessing a tantrum or two on a hot summer day.

At the Hick, we also have the possibility that there are some people that could possibly be clearing parts of the trail to make room for their dirt bikes. I know this because I see it on a regular basis once I start riding the trails regularly (it's very difficult to not just go out there and do some muddin' this time of year, but I just hid dirt roads esp. after a day of heavy rain) I see/hear/smell the dirt bikers almost daily.

As with Proud Lake, I think what we need are more features that deter motorized/hoofed traffic from going where it shouldn't.

I am all for pitching in for the bridge/ramp, but I am suspecting that it might be dismantled either in part or wholly to be used for some BMX jump as the other ramps have been.

I likely won't have time to get out and walk the trail today, but I'll definitely be out there tomorrow. When I am, I'll snap some photos of the spots I'm talking about.
FREEDOM35

Postby Apps » March 14th, 2012, 8:26 am

Got out last night and checked out the trail. It survived the rain just fine.

Did a little work too but the tree is still down back by Oakley Park Rd. Caught some of the BMX kids doing some of their own trail mods by adding some dirt jumps. Instructed them to not build anything on the trail itself but off line is acceptable. Unfortunately I got there a little late and they had already built a big table top after the free ride area. They were suppossed to remove it last night but I'm not holding my breath...may have to get out there with a shovel and fix it myself....:/

On the subject of a bridge at the one area...I talked with a couple TC's that I rode with last night and the general consensus is that it's probably not needed. That wet area is only an issue for a month or so in the early part of the season, by late april/May it'll be dry and not an issue. Adding a bridge brings in a maintenance aspect that I don't have the time to handle. Thanks for the offer of the wood however to do it right, it would need to be pressure treated. Keep bringing the ideas though....
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby galaxydean » March 14th, 2012, 6:01 pm

Nope it's still there. Along with the hole that it came from, right next to the trail and the hole is big. Then about 30 feet past that are 2 huge kicker jumps. Taking a shovel tomorrow. Someone also moved the large logs at the end. Also many younger riders riding the wrong way. politely mentioned it and showed them the signage. The suggestion didn't work. otherwise the trail was in perfect shape.
dean
galaxydean

Postby mtbfree » March 14th, 2012, 7:03 pm

galaxydean wrote:Nope it's still there. Along with the hole that it came from, right next to the trail and the hole is big. Then about 30 feet past that are 2 huge kicker jumps. Taking a shovel tomorrow. Someone also moved the large logs at the end. Also many younger riders riding the wrong way. politely mentioned it and showed them the signage. The suggestion didn't work. otherwise the trail was in perfect shape.

For the record, the "huge kicker jump" on the right has been there for at least an entire year (also, it's not really that huge... just hit it about 2 hours ago)... the one on the left is new. Some of us have enjoyed hitting the one on the right since we started riding this trail, and would be sad to see it go. Don't care if you tear down the one on the left that's new, but why tear down a feature that survived at least a whole year? Just for the record.
I'm just here to ride...

-'09 Turner DHR
-Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments