MCMBA: Hickory Glen (Commerce)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby nhjeffs » October 21st, 2007, 7:52 pm

Spinwheel wrote:Trail's in good shape, little hard to follow in the newer sections with leaves down. Tree down after the football field I may get it tomorrow..

I didn't notice that the tree was down at first and went over the branches that someone put down to redirect the trail. Looks like people are just riding along the tree to where the trail picks back up again.

Noticed the new jump someone put up on the two track leading up to the red house. It's something that I would never try but I'm just glad they put it up off the trail.
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby trail junky » October 22nd, 2007, 6:02 am

yea I built the little re-rout it would be cool to cut that tree into a skinny to ride on but its to much work. As for that jump :shock: :shock: :shock: WTF? that looks like a back flip jump :shock: :shock: back in the day when I was fearless I still wouldnt have the guts to try that but I want to
watch someone else so whoever built that post up and let me know.
trail junky

Postby hopsbag » October 22nd, 2007, 8:52 am

trail junky wrote:yea I built the little re-rout it would be cool to cut that tree into a skinny to ride on but its to much work. As for that jump :shock: :shock: :shock: WTF? that looks like a back flip jump :shock: :shock: back in the day when I was fearless I still wouldnt have the guts to try that but I want to
watch someone else so whoever built that post up and let me know.

Two or three weekends ago there were some teenagers with dirt-jump bikes messing around in that same area. They were working on putting in that piece of plywood that's on the slope across the ditch from the jump. Perhaps the ramp is their work too. Not your typical technical trail feature, that's for sure!
hopsbag

Postby Spinwheel » October 22nd, 2007, 10:10 pm

Trailjunky thanks for the reroute.. the skinny idea is interesting - think the log may be too rotten though .. will take another look.

The stunt will be removed this week - it doesn't meet the township guidelines for approved stunts installed in the park.

If anyone is interested in building stunts like this at HGP please contact myself or the MMBA Trail Coordinators James Altmann or Justin Applegate.

Thanks,
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby nhjeffs » October 24th, 2007, 5:21 pm

Spinwheel wrote:Trailjunky thanks for the reroute.. the skinny idea is interesting - think the log may be too rotten though .. will take another look.

The stunt will be removed this week - it doesn't meet the township guidelines for approved stunts installed in the park.

If anyone is interested in building stunts like this at HGP please contact myself or the MMBA Trail Coordinators James Altmann or Justin Applegate.

Thanks,

I stopped and looked at the jump today. Definitely built for a dirt bike.

Trail is in great shape. Get out and ride it.
Jeff

nhjeffs

trail in xlnt shape

Postby steveracer » October 28th, 2007, 9:41 pm

Rode te trail Sunday, and there are no mud puddles and trail is in perfect shape. Ground is a bit moist causing a lot of drag, but get out and ride, there are no excuses about all of the recent rain.
steveracer

Postby lawst » November 4th, 2007, 11:11 pm

Rode today. The trail is in great shape. Cleared it all, with the exception of the teeter-totter. The first attempt was disastrous. Apparently, I was going too fast, and did a sweet endo off the right side and into the brush. :oops:

Other than that, however, the ride was great!
That which does not kill me ... makes me walk funny
lawst

Postby nhjeffs » November 4th, 2007, 11:48 pm

Trail was in great shape this morning. I don't care for the new log pile in the section right after the cell tower.
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby scat silvurz » November 5th, 2007, 12:26 am

did it mess up your reception?

I still have to get out and GPS commerce......
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby nhjeffs » November 5th, 2007, 6:13 am

scat silvurz wrote:did it mess up your reception?

Not my phone reception. Just a nice flowing little section with a couple of features that you could fly through.
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby Spinwheel » November 5th, 2007, 11:08 pm

nhjeffs wrote:

Not my phone reception. Just a nice flowing little section with a couple of features that you could fly through.

The sect after the banked curve?
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby nhjeffs » November 6th, 2007, 4:52 am

Spinwheel wrote:
nhjeffs wrote:

The sect after the banked curve?

The section after the two track and before Jamie's ladder.
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby lawst » November 8th, 2007, 12:23 pm

Rode yesterday, lost my nerve to try the teeter again. I may have to wait until the spring before I can give it another shot.

There was quite a lot of small deadfall on the trail, presumably as a result of the high winds on Monday and Tuesday. I moved most of it off the trail.

Saw 4 deer out there, and it seemed like they were playing with me. They would run alongside the trail, get out in front of me, and stop on the trail. When I caught up, they waited until I got about 50 feet from them, and would run away, only to repeat the entire game over and over again.

Great fun.

Any suggestions as to how to get over the log pile, on the third loop, that always grabs my chainring? I know I'm not the only person that this happens to, as the marks in the top log are unmistakable.
That which does not kill me ... makes me walk funny
lawst

Postby nhjeffs » November 8th, 2007, 6:42 pm

lawst wrote:Any suggestions as to how to get over the log pile, on the third loop, that always grabs my chainring? I know I'm not the only person that this happens to, as the marks in the top log are unmistakable.

I don't think you can avoid that unless you bunny hop the log pile. It might just be a matter of a low bottom bracket height. There is only one log I have that problem with and that's only when riding my geared bike. It's out in the loop closest to the Oakley Park and South Commerce Rd. intersection. It's not a log pile, just a fallen tree that Tim notched out to be able to clear it.
Jeff

nhjeffs

Postby Spinwheel » November 8th, 2007, 10:15 pm

nhjeffs wrote:
lawst wrote:Any suggestions as to how to get over the log pile, on the third loop, that always grabs my chainring? I know I'm not the only person that this happens to, as the marks in the top log are unmistakable.

I don't think you can avoid that unless you bunny hop the log pile. It might just be a matter of a low bottom bracket height. There is only one log I have that problem with and that's only when riding my geared bike. It's out in the loop closest to the Oakley Park and South Commerce Rd. intersection. It's not a log pile, just a fallen tree that Tim notched out to be able to clear it.

James get the credit for that notched log, a fine job indeed :D I clear that one ok but catch on the logpile right after that (of course, I'm not riding a singlespeed :roll: ). Is that the one you have trouble with lawst?
Tim
Spinwheel

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions