NMMBA: Midland City Forest

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby guitarslave » January 16th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Just went today and it was beautiful... it looks like someone got out there and cleaned it up and fixed the west bridge since my last post so thank you very much whoever that was. that snow was deep and hard to ride through in a couple places but I would've been happy just walking out there today it was so pretty. for the most part it was a pretty easy ride even without studded tires. there is a couple of trees down but nothing that can't wait till srping. I really do encourage you guys to brave the cold and go check it out, i had a blast.
my first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man...
my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood...
but to a king and a kingdom
guitarslave

Mud season riding directions

Postby dirtpo » April 9th, 2008, 10:22 am

During mud season, avoid the north end of the north bound Gnu loop and the dismal swamp part of the South loop. The suggested route, assuming you're riding the standard direction (see arrows on trail) is this: On the south end of the South Loop, when you get to the Gnu loop connector, take it. This gets you off the south loop just before the dismal swamp. Ride the Gnu loop to the 2-track crossing a little past the 1 mile marker. Get off here and go left (west) about a hundred yards on the 2-track to pick up the southbound Gnu and ride it backwards (north) -- that's a right turn back onto the singletrack. At the north end of the Gnu Loop, go off the end of the hairpin to re-connect with the South Loop, which is just a few yards away. You'll miss some good dry trail this way, the south half of the south-bound Gnu and the a little of the NE South loop, but you can ride those backwards and figure it all out from the map.
Dirtpo

There is no society in recorded history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable. Sam Harris
dirtpo

Postby shades9323 » April 18th, 2008, 7:41 am

Any updates on this trail? I may be riding it Sat april 19
shades9323

Postby mmba7693 » April 18th, 2008, 8:14 am

Trails are in pretty good shape. North loop is totally rideable if you stay on the wood bridges and armoring. Gnu loop probably still impassable at the north end and requires a reroute or wet feet.

PM me and we'll swap contact info, I'd like to meet up for a ride Saturday.
Big gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later.
mmba7693

Thanks to trail workers

Postby dirtpo » April 29th, 2008, 3:21 pm

The two work parties at the city forest have rerouted an eroded downhill on the South Loop and armored the remaining mud on the Gnu Loop. The work turned out great and we're ready to rock for another season. There will, of course, be more to do, but for now, just ride. Thanks to everybody that showed up and put their time into the cause.
Dirtpo

There is no society in recorded history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable. Sam Harris
dirtpo

Postby ne14muddin » May 4th, 2008, 9:27 am

Some friends and I will be riding on the 7th at about 10:00am, starting on the Gnu loop. So if you have the day open, come on out and ride with us. :D
7 string guitar freak who rides a GT
ne14muddin

07/05/2008

Postby digitalwrath » July 5th, 2008, 8:34 am

North, South, and Gnu are all in great shape (didn't ride Frog Holler). The trails are mostly dry; dry enough that there are several sandy areas down low that may cause you to spin out. The armoring is all in good shape, as are the teeter-totter and the plank bridge. Now is a good time to try the plank bridge as it is dry underneath. There are a very small number of "wet" areas, but these areas are just damp and aren't really too muddy. All in all, the trails are in great shape.
digitalwrath

Midland City Forest

Postby GaryP » August 8th, 2008, 4:25 pm

All 13 miles of single track are in excellent shape. Recent rains have firmed up the loose sand and there is no standing water or mud anywhere.
GaryP

Postby rmanzanares » August 11th, 2008, 10:05 am

Tried out just the North Loop yesterday just because we were in the area and wanted to try something new. Recent rain and threat of more kept it short but the trail was fun and in good shape. This can be as easy as you want it to be or a fun challenge if you hit it hard. Kudos to Midlandiers, fun trail. :D
rmanzanares

Postby bikingwino » August 11th, 2008, 10:59 am

The trail is awesome right now.
Word of caution- The Midland County Fair is going on this week, so at times there may be some significant traffic issues just South of the trailhead.
bikingwino

MCF Trail conditions

Postby dirtpo » September 19th, 2008, 11:18 am

I rode it all last night, and it's in great shape. We had about 3 inches of rain last weekend, but by Thursday there was no mud and there were no trees across the trail. There are still a few small branches that could be picked up, but nothing to block your way -- but feel free to do a little sprucing up on your next ride. Enjoy.
Dirtpo

dirtpo

Great Conditions

Postby yohan » September 28th, 2008, 6:41 pm

Just got done riding, conditions are great, no mud.
yohan

Postby detroitjohnny » October 9th, 2008, 2:44 pm

rode the midland city forest this afternoon on the way home to tc from detroit. what a blast!!!!

rode the north? loop (green trail) and the gnu loop. lots of leaves and pine needles down on the trail already and it was a little damp in spots so it was a touch slippery. or it could have been the fact that I still have my smooth road tires on from a road tour I rode a couple weeks ago..... made for some interesting moments! I really enjoyed all the log piles, rocks, bridges and obstacles. I'm not sure why but the narrow log out by eastman road took me 3 tries to ride the whole length.

great trails, I will be back!!

johnny
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Trails great

Postby Jarose » October 12th, 2008, 10:45 am

Trails in great shape, lots of leaves and pine needles down, be cautious on the trail direction because I over shot it a few times :idea: oops.
Jarose

Postby GaryP » October 22nd, 2008, 8:42 pm

Lots of leaves down - be careful of roots and rocks underneath
GaryP

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments