NMMBA: Mid-Michigan Community College

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

NMMBA: Mid-Michigan Community College

Postby Thad Hallberg » May 4th, 2009, 10:43 am

This trail, near Harrison, MI is currently marked and being cut in. The cutting in project kicked off Saturday May 2nd with two small crews working in different sections. Sunday May 3rd, one small crew concentrated on one section and made some serious progress. We need your help! This is going to be a great trail! The section that we completed last night looked amazing and I wanted so much to ride it (but didn't). I will post a picture or two to wet your appetite and inspire you to get involved.

Key contact is Steve Hoffman e-mail: shoffman813[at]sbcglobal[dot].net

Future work dates/times will be posted soon.

Thad Hallberg
MMBA NE Chapter (Secretary)
thadhallberg[at]gmail[dot]com
Thad Hallberg

Re: Mid-Michigan Community College Trail Report

Postby Thad Hallberg » May 4th, 2009, 12:28 pm

A perfect series of turns at the trails conclusion will leave you smiling all of the way home.

Vaughn Murray plotted it out, he and a handful of others cut it in Sunday and we hope to be riding it soon! Stay tuned! BTW - there is a lot of trail left to cut in...work dates to be posted soon.
Thad Hallberg

Postby Ack » May 4th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Awesome........if Vaughn builds it, they will come! :D Can't wait to try it out!
Ack

Postby Thad Hallberg » May 8th, 2009, 1:31 pm

This is late notice, but if you would like to get involved with building the new trail near Harrison, be there tomorrow Saturday May 9th at 2pm. Volunteers are meeting up in the main MMCC parking lot. Big (plastic) leaf rakes work well and loppers/hand pruners.

Call Vaughn with any questions (989) 205-5909
Thad Hallberg

Postby Ack » May 12th, 2009, 2:30 am

How 'bout some more pics of the new trail?! :D
Ack

Postby Thad Hallberg » May 13th, 2009, 12:08 pm

http://mmbane.wordpress.com/2009/05/13/mmcc-work-party-9am-saturday-may-16th/

Thanks to all the volunteers who have been helping at the Mid Michigan Community College mountain bike trail these last few weeks. We currently have almost half of the 10 mile loop cut and with a good turnout this week we hope to make a big dent in the remaining sections.

The next trail day is coming up this Saturday (May 16th) at 9am. We could really use some help with raking and pruning (loppers). We'll meet at the MMCC main parking lot on Clare Ave (Old 27) and then head out to various sections.

Questions? Give Vaughn (205-5909) or Steve (430-7082) a shout. Thanks.
Thad Hallberg

Postby jrshome » May 18th, 2009, 9:07 pm

This looks great! My wifes family has a place in Harrison that we use during the summer. I always have to head up Grayling for a decent trail. Great work!
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby shoffman » May 19th, 2009, 8:52 pm

This Wednesday's (May 20th) ride will be at the Mid Michigan Community College Trail in Harrison. We'll be leaving the main parking lot at MMCC at 6pm sharp. Figure on a 45-50 minute drive from downtown Midland. The weather forecast for Wednesday is PERFECT (sunny and 80 degrees) and we'd really like to get a good turnout for the ride this week - guaranteed worth the drive!

We're really excited about getting on this trail. It's set in a beautiful forest with massive trees (some that we ride under) and rolling hills. This trail sports some long, gentle climbs (a few not so gentle) and is completely dry. I don't think we'll need a single bridge, which is really great for these recent soggy days. Once we get this trail ridden in with a few bikes it should be fast (big ring?). A nice combination of mostly fast flowing trails (like Hanson Hills) some tighter technical trails (Burns Rd), with a couple short sections of hilly two tracks (Iceman). What's not to love?

We made great progress this past weekend thanks to a really nice turnout for the trail work session on Saturday. We're close to having the entire loop cut in, and should be able to easily navigate around the few sections still needing work for our ride. At this point, we probably have around 7-8 miles ready for riding, with perhaps 2-3 miles to go. We're shooting for a 10 mile loop when all is said and done.

Directions: Take US-10 west to US-127 North about 12 miles to the Mannsiding Road exit (exit 168). Turn Right on Mannsiding Rd. for approx 1/4 mile to Old Clare Avenue. Turn left (North) on Old Clare Avenue for approximately 3/4 mile to the MMCC main entrance parking lot on right.

FYI: Some of us will be working on the trail during most of Wednesday afternoon, before the ride. If you're interested in joining us , give Steve (430-7082) or Vaughn (205-5909) a call.
shoffman

Postby Thad Hallberg » May 22nd, 2009, 12:04 pm

Mountain bike trail at Mid Michigan Community College nearly finished (now ridden) http://bit.ly/16iUcx

Enough with the rakes, loppers and axes already…we’re going ridin’! The new trail at Mid Michigan Community College has about 2 miles left to be cut in, but we were eager to ride it. Wednesday night a great group of riders met and did exactly that. I plotted the 8.1 mile route on my GPS to give you a visual. The combination of the heat and hill climbing earned us a spot at Ruckle’s (in Clare) for post ride beers, burgers and laughs.

A big thanks to Vaughn Murray and Steve Hoffman for their leadership and dedication to this project. I could almost name the many others that volunteered their time as well, but I’m sure that I would miss someone. Thanks to all that helped!

Stay tuned for details on the next build project…a mountain bike skills park at Midland City Forest, that will include dirt jumps, skinnies, drops, teeters and a pump track. Approvals have been granted and we are finalizing the design. Until then…RIDE!
Thad Hallberg

Postby MTB23 » May 27th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Very nice! Is the trail completed yet? Can I get an adress to the trailhead so I can Mapquest my way there. Thanks
www.BorealisBikes.com

"If ya aint first, your last"-Ricky Bobby
MTB23

Postby bw3 » May 28th, 2009, 8:52 pm

I'm really looking forward to riding this trail! I know where the main parking lot is at MMCC, but where does the trail start from? Are there signs up at the trail entrance? I have been riding a lot by myself earlier in the day, so I want to make sure I don't get lost out there!
bw3

Postby Thad Hallberg » May 28th, 2009, 9:55 pm

The trailhead is marked by a small orange ribbon at the start of the trees to the North of the front parking lot. You have to ride across the grass a little. The trail will conclude at the South end of the same parking lot. Watch for some remaining orange flags and marks to locate the trail. It should mostly be obvious. There may still be an unfinished section (at the North end) that will not be obvious. We followed the gravel/dirt road (Eastward) on the Northern boundary of the property. This road will bypass the unfinished section (if necessary).

Go to http://mmbane.wordpress.com for the route plotted by my GPS.
Thad Hallberg

Postby Ack » May 29th, 2009, 12:40 am

bw3 wrote:I'm really looking forward to riding this trail! I know where the main parking lot is at MMCC, but where does the trail start from? Are there signs up at the trail entrance? I have been riding a lot by myself earlier in the day, so I want to make sure I don't get lost out there!

Let me know if you want to go up there sometime....I'll give it a shot with you! 8)
Ack

Postby Thad Hallberg » May 29th, 2009, 8:58 am

Here is the direct link to the GPS route image... http://bit.ly/SL6Ar You can see our bypass of the unfinished section on the dirt road (at North end). We also had a little trouble picking up the trail near the child care center at the South end. It will eventually parallel S Clare Ave for a short stretch before heading back into the trees.

There will be a need for some trail markers and maps. We want to get the trail finished and proven before taking the next step.

Hope that helped.
Thad Hallberg

Postby jrshome » May 29th, 2009, 9:05 am

That's the exit before the main Harrison exits correct? I can't wait to get back up to Harrison so I can try this out. I should have tried this last weekend. Going to be great to have a trail that is not an hour away from the cabin :D
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments