NMMBA: Mid-Michigan Community College

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-Michigan Community College Trail Report

Postby bw3 » May 28th, 2009, 8:52 pm

I'm really looking forward to riding this trail! I know where the main parking lot is at MMCC, but where does the trail start from? Are there signs up at the trail entrance? I have been riding a lot by myself earlier in the day, so I want to make sure I don't get lost out there!
bw3

Postby Thad Hallberg » May 28th, 2009, 9:55 pm

The trailhead is marked by a small orange ribbon at the start of the trees to the North of the front parking lot. You have to ride across the grass a little. The trail will conclude at the South end of the same parking lot. Watch for some remaining orange flags and marks to locate the trail. It should mostly be obvious. There may still be an unfinished section (at the North end) that will not be obvious. We followed the gravel/dirt road (Eastward) on the Northern boundary of the property. This road will bypass the unfinished section (if necessary).

Go to http://mmbane.wordpress.com for the route plotted by my GPS.
Thad Hallberg

Postby Ack » May 29th, 2009, 12:40 am

bw3 wrote:I'm really looking forward to riding this trail! I know where the main parking lot is at MMCC, but where does the trail start from? Are there signs up at the trail entrance? I have been riding a lot by myself earlier in the day, so I want to make sure I don't get lost out there!

Let me know if you want to go up there sometime....I'll give it a shot with you! 8)
Ack

Postby Thad Hallberg » May 29th, 2009, 8:58 am

Here is the direct link to the GPS route image... http://bit.ly/SL6Ar You can see our bypass of the unfinished section on the dirt road (at North end). We also had a little trouble picking up the trail near the child care center at the South end. It will eventually parallel S Clare Ave for a short stretch before heading back into the trees.

There will be a need for some trail markers and maps. We want to get the trail finished and proven before taking the next step.

Hope that helped.
Thad Hallberg

Postby jrshome » May 29th, 2009, 9:05 am

That's the exit before the main Harrison exits correct? I can't wait to get back up to Harrison so I can try this out. I should have tried this last weekend. Going to be great to have a trail that is not an hour away from the cabin :D
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby Thad Hallberg » May 29th, 2009, 9:15 am

Yup...Exit at Mannsiding Rd to the East. Then North on Clare Ave. Main MMCC parking lot closest to road.
Thad Hallberg

Postby Thad Hallberg » June 4th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Another great Wednesday night ride at MMCC last night! The trail is complete and getting worn in. Here are a couple of maps fresh from my Garmin GPS that will help you navigate the ~10 mile loop. Sorry for the grunting and groaning on the climbs...it was a less than stellar performance by me...but fun!

http://bit.ly/WPM9
Thad Hallberg

Postby chrismaltby » June 6th, 2009, 10:10 am

Great job guys!! Rode the trail last night. It's pretty well broke in all things considered. I'll be back.

Chris
"There are no races. Only lotteries."

-Jacques Anquetil
chrismaltby

Postby Ack » June 10th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Just got back from the trail.....not too bad! I'm not sure if it was just me, but that trail kicked my butt....guess that's what happens when a flatlander tries out a few hills, LOL! :lol:
Ack

Postby GaryP » June 13th, 2009, 10:49 am

Did the MMCC trail this morning and it's getting broken in very nicely, so keep riding it firm it up even more. I rode a moderate pace and did 9.7 miles about 1 hr 15 min and was pretty whipped at the end. Great trail - thanks to Steve and Vaughn for hammering this out and all of the other workers who made it happen....
GaryP

Postby mmba7275 » June 15th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Rode the loop this past Saturday. Great job to the Northeast Chapter!!
My only complaint is i liked it so much i have to do two laps! 8)
mmba7275

Postby darkstar » July 6th, 2009, 9:22 am

This was reallly nice. Needed to get my fix in over the holiday weekend. Hit trail on the 4th and not a soul was out there. Heading from wixom lake this was about 35 minute drive. I felt as if this trail still needs lots of riding SO Get out there and ride it!! Still seems a little loose to me and slightly grassy. (A little extra effort needed to keep speed) All the ground work is fantastic a couple parts seem like they will wash out easy. Lots of small rolling hills, stumps on trail (really spikes) Beginners can ride this trail there are only 2 spots that are "tricky". One is in the last couple miles of the trail and is about a 2ft drop. (this is really not a big deal but theres not a way around) The other is what I will call the heart of the trail. Every trail has at least one spot that makes me remember it. This was a very steep off camber downhill and a very sharp turn at the creek. This was awesome and I hope this gets some build help to keep this chute open/ allow for some type of sweeping high speed turn. (Both times i passed it i had speed and wasnt really expecting that quick chute). I did have a little hard time finding flow in some areas but maybe becasue it was my first ride on the trail. However, I see that when the ground gets packed it will be wayyyy faster and thus impoving the flow. Again, trail does need riding it seems like your waiting to add some berms to turns and some log stunts. You guys have it going on! still too early for extra stunts as that main ST needs some riding love. Fantastic job on the trail still kind of an infant but i can see it develop'n into a freakin speed demon. Well marked with orange flags (in fact if it takes you longer then 2 seconds to find one you may be off trail =) ) and some MTB - > signs. Fantastic effort and I will be going back.... keep it up!!
darkstar

Postby Napper » August 11th, 2009, 5:52 pm

Rode there yesterday and the trail is getting in awesome shape!! It has been just over a month since the last time I rode it and can not believe the difference. Thanks for the great job on the trail. What is even better that is I am going to have classes on Tuesdays and be able to go for a spin afterwards.
Everyone Dies But not Everyone Lives
Napper

Postby Napper » August 25th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Trail is still in awesome shape. Moved a couple of downed dead trees. Anybody interested in riding on tuesdays around 4:30 I will be out there.
Everyone Dies But not Everyone Lives
Napper

Postby Thad Hallberg » August 25th, 2009, 9:55 pm

@Napper...thanks for the report, invite and trail maintenance. There is a group ride at MMCC tomorrow (Wednesday, Aug 26th) if you can make it.

Details: This week at Mid Michigan Community College - ride leaves at 6pm sharp! For those interested in an early lap - I plan to be there at 4:45pm. Note: School is back in session at MMCC. If the front parking lot is full,
continue on to the back parking area. This area is open during the week for
overflow parking. DO NOT PARK ON GRASS!
Thad Hallberg

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions