Fun 50 Summer or Fall Dates?

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Re: Fun 50 Summer or Fall Dates?

Postby SlowPoke » August 18th, 2011, 10:59 pm

This is a ride I would look at. It would be good to have an event to train for, and I would need to do some building before attempting the 50.

Last week in Sept is a great time to ride, and camp.
SlowPoke

Postby Mike_D » August 19th, 2011, 5:38 am

SlowPoke wrote:This is a ride I would look at. It would be good to have an event to train for, and I would need to do some building before attempting the 50.

Last week in Sept is a great time to ride, and camp.

You considering it? We can be the sweepers again :wink: :lol:
Mike_D

Postby alexyoung » August 22nd, 2011, 8:44 pm

Might join you guys at the back. Longest ride I've been on was 40 this year. Come to think of it that was one of the only rides :D
alexyoung

Postby SlowPoke » August 22nd, 2011, 9:01 pm

This is a go for me!

When I posted that, and asked my wife if the weekend was open, I could not even stand because my back was so screwed up. But last weekend I did a ride and it felt good, and tonight I ran 8 miles and feel fine. Looks like I will be back in the game. :D

Count on me at the back of the pack. I have a reputation to uphold. :roll:
SlowPoke

Postby alexyoung » August 25th, 2011, 8:04 am

Is there a map available? Also, if I decide I cant make it for the full 50, is the 35 on the same route?
alexyoung

Postby Mike_D » August 25th, 2011, 8:42 am

alexyoung wrote:Is there a map available? Also, if I decide I cant make it for the full 50, is the 35 on the same route?

The map is available in the trail guide but here is a link:

http://mmba.org/library/maps/highcountrypathway/HighCountryPathwayHUGE.jpg

Your next question is a loaded question :lol: There are logistics involved with dropping cars and picking up cars. Last spring, we had a couple riders riding the entire 80 mile loop so we had to leave cars at numerous "potential bail out" spots. I don't think there will be as many bail out spots this year but usually the car drop off point logistics are figured out the morning of the ride. In answer to your question, dropping out of the 50 and only doing the 35 might depend which way the 50 miler ride starts and stops. Last year, the 35 milers drove a car and left it at Pigeon Bridge and rode back to Clear Lake Campground (CCW). The 50 milers started at Clear Lake Campground and rode CW to a car beyond Pigeon Bridge (can't remember exactly where the 50 miler starts and stops since I only did the 35 miler). There was some talk of doing the northern section of the 50 miler this fall and that could probably be done CW or CCW. There are lots of options that will probably start popping here on this thread the closer we get to the ride time and even then, it won't be set in stone until you get to camp :D FYI - The 35 miler I rode last year only wound up being ~28 miles for me since I "missed" the trailhead on a short section of gravel road that you ride (wasn't a problem since the road takes you back to Clear Lake Campground in a round about way). I say missed but after riding my 26" SS with 2.1:1 gearing for 5-6 hours, my legs were about spent. I will be running the same SS for this ride but with 1.6:1 gearing. Average speed on this ride for me was about ~5-6mph.
Mike_D

Postby SlowPoke » August 25th, 2011, 12:25 pm

35 ish could be good for me also.

If it could work out, I would prefer to ride from camp out to the 35 mile area, then drive back. So if we have people going both ways that could work.
SlowPoke

Postby Mike_D » September 13th, 2011, 5:05 pm

SlowPoke wrote:35 ish could be good for me also.

If it could work out, I would prefer to ride from camp out to the 35 mile area, then drive back. So if we have people going both ways that could work.

Is it logistically possible for the 50 milers to drop a car off @ Pigeon Bridge on the way to where they would start the 50 miler? I would be in for the 35 miler too (as long as my Achilles tendon lets me - jacked it up this weekend on the NCT) and then we could pickup the Pigeon River car and the 50 miler car so we wouldn't have to hassle with that later that evening when everyone would rather sit around the campfire after the ride with an adult beverage.
Mike_D

Previous

Return to NMMBA