Porcupine Mountains trails

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Porcupine Mountains trails

Postby lolo341 » June 20th, 2011, 9:42 am

I have found information on some 2006 posts but am wondering if anyone has any more recent information about the bike trails in the Porkies. I have done some limited technical riding, but I will be with a friend who is fit and comfortable on her bike but has zero off-road experience and is not quite reluctant but is somewhat hesistant about getting off the pavement. We both have city or urban hybrids with semi-slick tires. We are a classic tortoise and hare duo; I love speed but my friend likes to mosey. I am wondering if the trails would be suitable for a non-intimidating, leisurely ride, friendly enough for a newbie. I can catch some wind another time : )

On a related note, I know there are park maps, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any firsthand suggestions or recommendations within the park for either backcountry camping or rustic cabins near the bike trails. Most of the trip we'll be hiking, but I feel like it'd be a shame to go there and miss out on the biking, even if we don't do much of it.

Thanks!
lolo341

Re: Porcupine Mountains trails

Postby lolo341 » June 23rd, 2011, 9:19 am

I called the DNR. The bike trails are actually the xcountry ski trails. They're not groomed during the summer months so they may be overgrown but they're not technical at all. See also http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/publications/pdfs/RecreationCamping/Porkies_mtbiketrailmap.pdf
lolo341

Postby ihateplaindave » June 23rd, 2011, 9:22 am

It's not so much the overgrown as the deadfall. It's been years since I've ridden them but I hear they're still mostly hike-a-bike because of all the blow downs.
ihateplaindave

Postby northernrider05 » July 7th, 2011, 12:42 pm

We rode a few trails there two summers ago, wide ski trails with a good amount of climbing, we climbed over 20 minutes and descended it in half the time, we road are single speeds. When we get up there again we will have our road bikes. Much better road riding then mountain biking in that area in my opinion. also a great area for hiking.
"Bicycles may change,but cycling is timeless."
-Zapata Espinoza
northernrider05

Postby jcowan » July 20th, 2011, 6:42 pm

I just got back from the Porkies last week and I would definitely not recommend it for mountain biking. They have plenty of trails listed on the map but they are all on XC ski trails and from what I could tell the best case scenario is that someone drove a brush hog through them but some of the trails don't even have that. Granted, I went up there for the hiking and not the riding so I didn't look at every trail.

The scenery and the hiking are amazing but if you want to ride in that area go to Houghton or Copper Harbor.
jcowan

Return to NMMBA