Suggestions on camp/ride in UP

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Postby crowman » July 17th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Hello, I will be in the UP July 22nd through the 26th. Looking for suggestions on trails and a good place to camp near lots of them. Open to any area in the UP, I've never ridden here before. I've heard there are some epic rides though I don't know where.

Thanks in advance.
crowman

Re: Suggestions on camp/ride in UP

Postby northernrider05 » July 17th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Brunos run near Munising and the trail passes through many campgrounds
"Bicycles may change,but cycling is timeless."
-Zapata Espinoza
northernrider05

Postby i69whitey » July 17th, 2011, 6:25 pm

found brunos a little wide and easy (by UP standards), but nice layout with the camps/ lakes you travel around. good fishin and swimming.

copper harbor (Ft Wilkins state park) is a short bike ride from all that is UP riding.
a good three days of trails.
the only bad to copper is the extra couple hundred miles (past houghton/marquette)
but very worth it if ya got the time

also enjoyed our short stay at the marquette city campground (tourist park?)
marquette has about 80 miles of paved path to take you from the south marquette system (way off the hook) to presque isle and other tamer stuff. marquette is a nationally recognized bike city and really has got it goin in that respect. we have only ridden the south system both trips up, but there is plenty there for any level rider. from crazy full-face downhill to XC and everything in between.

enjoy!!!
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby bleve » July 18th, 2011, 9:06 am

The appeal of Bruno's is the scenery, a really nice ride through some pretty country - ride along a river, past many lakes, in deep woods. Plus it makes a nice ride for a hiking trail, not flat, straight and boring. Then you can add in a day riding around Grand Island (or be more adventurous and camp on the island with your bike). Again, not awesome single track, but a good ride with great scenery.

I've unfortunately not made it to farther west riding so I can't comment, but Munising is within driving distance and the riding is nice, plus you have Pictured Rocks to explore (at least take the boat cruise if you don't want to go hiking).
bleve

Postby volklgirl » July 18th, 2011, 1:04 pm

Bruno's is fun and pretty similar to Cannonsburg SGA or Yankee Springs, but the scenery is spectacular.

The Marquette South trails are something else! Some serious climbs and scary-a$$ downhills with some nice cross counrty-type stuff, but it was VERY poorly signed when we were there a few years ago. Unless that's changed, find a local to show you around to avoid the added frustration and aggravation.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby JonathanGennick » July 18th, 2011, 4:56 pm

If you are coming up specifically to ride, then hit the Keweenaw and especially Copper Harbor. If you do not want to drive that far, then aim for Marquette. From MQT you can hit Ishpeming, and maybe even day-trip various Keweenaw trails.

Brunos is a nice trail if you have other reasons for coming to the Munising area, but Brunos is not a "destination" trail system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.
JonathanGennick

Postby Arly » July 18th, 2011, 9:03 pm

We reside in Houghton and would suggest you stop by the Keweenaw. We live near Mi tech and those trail are quite nice. Swedetown (near Calumet) and Churning Rapids in Hancock are also very nice. All these systems are different from each other and good in there own way..... If you crave the larger hills or rock, then Copper Harbor trails are hard to beat. Feel free it PM us if you like a guided tour (we'll try anyway)

Wherever you get to ride,, Let us know how it goes.

Arlyn A
Arly A
A tandem nerd, we ride them, love them, so we sell them.
Gromit’s adventure blog. http://trailmuttreports.blogspot.com/
Superiortandems.com 906-370-2911
Arly

Postby i69whitey » July 19th, 2011, 9:35 pm

sorry for bein late gettin this added
NUMBER ONE REASON TO RIDE COPPER HARBOR

NO CELL PHONE SIGNAL IN THE WHOLE TOWN

just so cool to sit in a restaurant and NOBODY has their phone out
nobody texting while walking thru town

no phones anywhere

but free wireless @ Ft Wilkins State Park
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
i69whitey

Postby Arly » July 20th, 2011, 6:49 am

Gee, we thought it was the trails. 8) On Gromits blog is photos we took up there this past weekend.

Arlyn Aronson
Superiortandems.com
Work 906-370-2911 home 487-9229
Arly A
A tandem nerd, we ride them, love them, so we sell them.
Superiortandems.com 906-370-2911
Arly

Postby JonathanGennick » July 20th, 2011, 10:12 am

LOL! @i69, I like having a signal. I don't understand the animosity towards having a signal. My enjoyment of the outdoors is not the least bit hampered by my phone. In fact, the phone often adds to the enjoyment.
JonathanGennick

Postby jalopy jockey » August 9th, 2011, 11:27 am

Anything east of Brunos? The family will be camping in Newberry and Brimley (just west of the locks) so one of us could catch a few hours at a time.

On a skill set how does Bruno compare to say the front half of Addison. Might just take the whole clan there/ or elsewhere, but we don't want to get the 7 year old in too much trouble. Art's Lung buster at Bloomer can be a bit much for him if he's not fellin' good. The 5 year old can hang on to the tag along on anything.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby volklgirl » August 9th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Searchmont used to have a huge trail system of varying abilities, but I don't knowhow much upkeep they're doing these days.

Check with the guys and gals at Duke of Widsor in the Soo (Canada side) for the skinny on trails near there.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby i69whitey » August 9th, 2011, 6:17 pm

i think brunos is doable for the wee ones (and you know i feel ya on that one bro)
a couple longer two track climbs, but nothing too scary
and there are several options for shorter trips
i69whitey

Postby TheyCallMeBruce » August 9th, 2011, 9:31 pm

jalopy jockey wrote:On a skill set how does Bruno compare to say the front half of Addison. Might just take the whole clan there/ or elsewhere, but we don't want to get the 7 year old in too much trouble. Art's Lung buster at Bloomer can be a bit much for him if he's not fellin' good. The 5 year old can hang on to the tag along on anything.

IIRC Bruno's has a lot of rooty spots that would play havoc with smaller wheels, not to mention a tag along. The hills are nothing to worry about though.
TheyCallMeBruce

Postby JonathanGennick » August 10th, 2011, 11:27 am

jalopy jockey wrote:On a skill set how does Bruno compare to say the front half of Addison. Might just take the whole clan there/ or elsewhere, but we don't want to get the 7 year old in too much trouble.

Not sure I would drive all the way from Newberry just for Bruno's. But if you do make the drive, give me heads up and maybe I could get out and ride with you.

I've taken young kids on Bruno's before. You just have to be careful to bail out before they get too fatigued and discouraged. One possible route is to begin at the Moccasin Lake parking area and ride to where the trail crosses the highway at the Indian River bridge. Then follow the highway back to the car and stop for ice-cream at the camp store. For a seven-year-old, I'd be tempted to bail out even earlier via the Widewaters campground. You do that by hanging a left on a two-track. The turn isn't marked, but the two-track is well-defined and something you can easily drive a car on. And once again, you have opportunity for ice-cream.

If you begin from the campground, the trail is fairly smooth in the direction that heads away from the lake. That's another decent option for little kids.
JonathanGennick

Return to NMMBA