HCP Summer Solstice Ride 2012

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

HCP Summer Solstice Ride 2012

Postby Rock N' Rolla » February 6th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Sorry , I realize this is early and probably way too soon to be asking, but is it a good assumption that this ride will be on or close to the same dates as last year. My work rolls on that 1st come 1st serv. basis for day off requests. I was pumped to go last year then was stricken with a bad case of having to work on the Wed. before the ride :( .
If so, This year would look to be either week ending June 2nd or June 9th. With the whole 2012 thing this year I Have to make this ride! :wink:
Rock N' Rolla

Re: HCP Summer Solstice Ride 2012

Postby Nelg » February 6th, 2012, 2:46 pm

Rock N' Rolla wrote:Sorry , I realize this is early and probably way too soon to be asking, but is it a good assumption that this ride will be on or close to the same dates as last year. My work rolls on that 1st come 1st serv. basis for day off requests. I was pumped to go last year then was stricken with a bad case of having to work on the Wed. before the ride :( .
If so, This year would look to be either week ending June 2nd or June 9th. With the whole 2012 thing this year I Have to make this ride! :wink:

Put in for June 2nd.

The ride starts off from Clear Lake campground approximately 10 miles north of Atlanta on M33. We camp in the group camping area which is $5 a night per person. Since the ride starts early, I'd plan on camping Friday night for sure and most likely Saturday as the post ride campfires are typically as fun as the ride itself. If you want a non-rustic camping experience or have a motorhome or travel trailer, you'll need to reserve a regular camp site. Small trailers and pop ups will fit in the group camp area.

What to bring:
What ever you need to be comfortable for an all day ride plus food and water. We are camping and the trail is in the middle of no where. You can't hit a party store or gas station, but we will have four supply drops for the 80 mile riders and two for the 50 mile riders. People typically bring jugs of water and plastic shopping bags with fruit, energy bars, bagles, snacks, etc. to leave at the drop points. Some crafty folks even bring small coolers to keep beverages and food cold at one or more of the stops.

What to expect?

80 mile riders: Leave camp by 7:00 AM and expect a 11 to 13 hour day in the saddle. If you don't typically ride your bike for 5+ hours at a time for your longer endeavors, this one probably isn't for you. If you like peddling for hours on end and have a butt of steel, go for it, it's a bigger accomplishment than the Lumberjack 100 due to the terrain. Plan on supplies for four drop points.

Fun 50 Mile: (OK, it's really only 47) Leave the camp in cars to the start point by 8:15 AM. 8 to 10 hours in the saddle is the norm. It's a great last long training ride before tapering down for the LJ100. Bring stuff for two drop points.

30 Miler Roll out of bed after everyone else has left, shake off the hangover and drive out to the Pigeon Bridge trail head parking lot. Roll south on the trail and enjoy the scenes from Rattlesnake Hill and beat everyone else back to camp for the first post ride beer. Expect to be in the saddle for 5 to 6 hours. Can be modified to a 40 miler by riding the Shingle Mill Pathway first.

Shingle Mill Century Leave camp via car at 7:00, drive to the Pigeon Bridge parking lot with a day's worth of supplies. Do the 11 mile Shingle Mill trail loop nine times. Hop in the car, return to camp and drink beer recalling the same sites over and over and over.....

Shingle Mill non-Century Enjoy a snippet of what the whole 80 is like with a 10 or 11 mile loop of the Shingle Mill Pathway. It's a great way to get a taste of what you'll see on the larger loop without needing to commit 4+ hours in the saddle.

Can't wait to enjoy the fun out there this year. If you like backcountry, un-groomed riding it's a must do.

See you on the 2nd!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby feldpaj » February 7th, 2012, 10:56 am

I had penciled in the 2nd, Tom was saying he would like it the 9th so that kids will be out of school and families can come up. Either way i am excited.
When is the spring riding/trailday?
to do: bike-eat-brew beer-drink beer-board-hunt-sleep-work-
feldpaj

Postby Nelg » February 7th, 2012, 11:14 am

feldpaj wrote:I had penciled in the 2nd, Tom was saying he would like it the 9th so that kids will be out of school and families can come up. Either way i am excited.
When is the spring riding/trailday?

The 9th would have been cool, but it's only one week in front of the LJ100 so it would go from being a great final training ride to to close to the actual event. Plus, we changed it to the first weekend in June, we should keep some type of consistency to it.

First trail day is looking like the last weekend in April followed up by the second weekend in May. I need to finalize it with the DNR, will keep everyone posted.

Thanks!
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » February 7th, 2012, 11:51 am

My son's graduation party is the 9th so I was planning on the 2nd myself.
Mike_D

Postby purple helmet » February 27th, 2012, 8:05 am

I was back and forth, but the 2nd is fine. Keeps with tradition, and keeps a decent buffer before LJ (might be on speaking terms w/my bike by then :)
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby alexyoung » March 2nd, 2012, 9:34 am

I'm in for June 2. Looking forward.

Also, does anyone have a tcx file of the route? 50 and 80 preferably. Thanks!
alexyoung

Postby bh357 » March 3rd, 2012, 9:46 am

No cousin getting married this spring, so I'll be there.

I'll make a decision later this spring as to the 50 or 80... not as much time to ride this year.

If I do the 80... ride counter-clockwise and pick up the Pigeon car? or ride clockwise and pick up the M-33 car? :lol:
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby alexyoung » March 6th, 2012, 9:00 pm

My wife and my friend (both trail runners) will also be coming. Can't wait!
alexyoung

Postby bh357 » March 11th, 2012, 10:21 am

To the 2 people whom I emailed my GPX file of the entire loop to,

The route in the GPX file should be followed with a liberal dose of common sense, as well as a good eye for the blue dots. I looked at that route and counted no fewer than 5 "unintended side trips", including one of over a half mile :lol:
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

bh357

Postby alexyoung » March 11th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Yeah, I saw that :D Noted, but thanks for the map, that will help when I inevitably will get lost.
alexyoung

Postby Nelg » March 11th, 2012, 7:41 pm

alexyoung wrote:Yeah, I saw that :D Noted, but thanks for the map, that will help when I inevitably will get lost.

We also have a very nice, detailed water proof paper map that's quite helpful. We'll have them for sale at the ride.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby alexyoung » March 11th, 2012, 9:53 pm

...and I'll be buying one of those too. Maps are just cool anyway!
alexyoung

Postby bh357 » March 13th, 2012, 1:43 pm

The folding map is also helpful for if you need to bail and take dirt roads back.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

bh357

Postby Nelg » March 13th, 2012, 1:57 pm

bh357 wrote:The folding map is also helpful for if you need to bail and take dirt roads back.

Which is typically further than staying on the trail, but a whole lot smoother!
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Next

Return to NMMBA