HCP Summer Solstice Ride 2012

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Re: HCP Summer Solstice Ride 2012

Postby Nelg » June 1st, 2012, 7:32 am

mntn-biker wrote:
football44 wrote:I'm driving up. What the h*ll. I might not get another chance. Only problem is which bike to bring: SS with crossmarks or geared with big ol' 2.35 nevegals.I'm assuming mud, so the gears might not be a great idea.

If you bring the SS, you might want to gear it down. Average speed is like 5-6mph :shock: I will be running a 34 x 22 on my VooDoo ss

I'll second this. 32x20, 34x20 and 34x22 and near variants are the perfect gears for this ride. I loaned out my SS and am bummed as i'll be putting the hurt on my good bike. :(
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby bh357 » June 1st, 2012, 9:10 am

Nelg wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:
football44 wrote:I'm driving up. What the h*ll. I might not get another chance. Only problem is which bike to bring: SS with crossmarks or geared with big ol' 2.35 nevegals.I'm assuming mud, so the gears might not be a great idea.

If you bring the SS, you might want to gear it down. Average speed is like 5-6mph :shock: I will be running a 34 x 22 on my VooDoo ss

I'll second this. 32x20, 34x20 and 34x22 and near variants are the perfect gears for this ride. I loaned out my SS and am bummed as i'll be putting the hurt on my good bike. :(

I decided to risk an X9 short cage, so I'll have 9 different gears to choose from. But with the HCP, there is a possibility of finishing on a singlespeed no matter what drivetrain you start with :lol: .

All my previous HCP rides (2 full 80's, 4 normal fun 50's, one "fun 70", one 28 miler) were made on an SS 29er geared at 36:20.

Mud... there may be some mud in the first few miles from the fun 50 start at Osmun, and possibly again in the area south of Pine Grove that was logged a couple years back. So, don't let the tires sway your decision.

The roots and boardwalks will be "interesting" tomorrow :shock:
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby kalkaskawinterfest » June 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

No worry for a dusty ride....Im going 32:18.....A pair of ice cleats could come in handy for the boardwalks
kalkaskawinterfest

Postby Nelg » June 1st, 2012, 9:26 am

kalkaskawinterfest wrote:No worry for a dusty ride....Im going 32:18.....A pair of ice cleats could come in handy for the boardwalks

I've got a 20 tooth for the trolley if you want it.

FYI, spare brake pads are going to be a good thing to bring this year too!
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby football44 » June 1st, 2012, 9:54 am

I rode my ss 29er all winter at 33/16 on the road on some fairly significant hills around here, and suffered a little at Big M with this gearing. Recently backed off to 33/17 for Ohio/Michigan singletrack. Sounds like I ought to swap out to 33/18 at least.
I rode a small section of the HCP last year, going clockwise from Clear Lake? Campground, out and back about 10 total miles. Really looking forward to getting out there a little farther.
I'm also thinking enduro shoes.
football44

Postby football44 » June 4th, 2012, 6:32 am

Despite the broken nipples, I had a great time on the HCP saturday. Thanks to the good people from NMMBA for putting this ride on. I can't wait to get back up there.
football44

Postby Mike_D » June 4th, 2012, 7:03 am

football44 wrote:Despite the broken nipples, I had a great time on the HCP saturday. Thanks to the good people from NMMBA for putting this ride on. I can't wait to get back up there.

I second this with the exception of the broken nipples :roll: I will add that despite the 40 something degree temps, the fact that I had a bad cold (sorry if I woke everyone up in the middle of each night with my coughing fits), and the all day rain we had, I still fully enjoyed the ride and it was great to see a bunch of elk on the ride :!: I really wished I could have seen the bear like the other group did....or maybe not :?

Thanks again for a well organized and planned event! Hope to make it up for the Fun50 in the fall....

Mike
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » June 7th, 2012, 10:18 am

I think I'm finally dry after this past weekend, talk about a wet day of riding!

Despite the constant monsoon, I managed to have a good time on the short ride and can't wait to hit it again. Hopefully the fall ride will work out this year.

Also, some one left two small coolers in my car, shoot me a PM if they are yours and we'll figure out a way to get them back to you.

Cheers!
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Previous

Return to NMMBA