Drummond Island Trails?

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Drummond Island Trails?

Postby redbird » June 7th, 2012, 8:55 am

Looks like I have be at Drummond Island for a week this summer for work. I can't find where there are any real mtb trails up there but if anybody knows of anything I would be grateful. thx
redbird

Re: Drummond Island Trails?

Postby MudShine » June 26th, 2012, 11:57 am

I really don't know of designated trails.... I've only been there once, it was a FUN PROMOTIONS 12/24 hour race. I enjoyed the soil conditions and even saw a snowy owl. Let us know if you find marked trails or good places to ride while you are there. Enjoy! Ali
Don't look back, something may be gaining on you.
Northern MMBA cat wrangler & secretary
MudShine

Postby Mack » June 26th, 2012, 12:28 pm

There are no designated MTB trails on the island that I know of. They do have a designated ORV
trail. You will find lots of trail to ride most of them not marked in any way. The terrain there can
be extremely challanging to ride on a dirt bike, let alone a MTB. I did picked around a bit on a MTB
and had a good time, mostly out and backs. I would take some trail flagging tape with you, as I did.
The trails have many forks in them and this is a place you can get lost. When you come to a fork, mark
the fork you wan to ride and the trail that you were riding. Even with GPS it can get confusing which trail
you were on. Have fun and let us know how it went.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby MudShine » June 26th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Mack wrote:There are no designated MTB trails on the island that I know of. They do have a designated ORV
trail. You will find lots of trail to ride most of them not marked in any way. The terrain there can
be extremely challanging to ride on a dirt bike, let alone a MTB. I did picked around a bit on a MTB
and had a good time, mostly out and backs. I would take some trail flagging tape with you, as I did.
The trails have many forks in them and this is a place you can get lost.
When you come to a fork, mark
the fork you wan to ride and the trail that you were riding. Even with GPS it can get confusing which trail

Good thing it's an island... when you hit the shore... go clockwise or counter? ha :D
MudShine

Postby Mack » June 26th, 2012, 1:14 pm

MudShine wrote:
Mack wrote:There are no designated MTB trails on the island that I know of. They do have a designated ORV
The trails have many forks in them and this is a place you can get lost.
When you come to a fork, mark

Good thing it's an island... when you hit the shore... go clockwise or counter? ha :D

Its also a large island (140 +or- sq miles, with 150 miles of shoreline) with not alot of populated areas.
Also not many roads. Could be a long ride back when you hit the shore.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby MudShine » June 26th, 2012, 1:17 pm

140 miles or so on a summer's day/night... no problem... wait, strap a kayak to your back and turn it into a biathlon of sorts????
MudShine

Postby Mack » June 26th, 2012, 1:21 pm

MudShine wrote:140 miles or so on a summer's day/night... no problem... wait, strap a kayak to your back and turn it into a biathlon of sorts????

I'll stick with my compass and a little tape. Thank you very much.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby MudShine » June 26th, 2012, 1:39 pm

I suppose practical works too.
MudShine

Return to NMMBA