ISO: U.P. XC trails information

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

ISO: U.P. XC trails information

Postby gprgirl » June 28th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Hi All,

I am curious about XC trails in the U.P. Grew up in Michigan, but only rode in the L.P.

Specifically I would love a report on what the trails at Porcupine Mountain State park are like. Copper Harbor? I'm not as into "downhill" riding, are there any XC trails there? Any information on any other U.P. trails would also be very welcome. Marquette? Grand Island?

Thanks!!
gprgirl

Re: ISO: U.P. XC trails information

Postby JonathanGennick » June 28th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Copper Harbor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9btRzqsvA

Marquette's got a strong mountain-biking scene as well.

Grand Island is a nontechnical loop on what used to be double-track, that circumnavigates the island. Views are nice, and the North Beach makes for an excellent stop-and-rest point.

Bruno's Run is about 15 miles south of Wetmore. It's rooty and rough, which makes it fun in my book.

Ishpemming area has some trails, and also a well-regarded, Wednesday evening ride.

There is probably more out there that I am not familiar with. Generally speaking, most of the mountain-biking goodness that I hear about is in the swath from Copper Harbor down through Ishpeming and Negaunee, and into Marquette.
JonathanGennick

Postby ihateplaindave » June 28th, 2012, 2:42 pm

Porkies are historically bad riding.
ihateplaindave

Postby Leroi Brown » June 29th, 2012, 9:43 am

Copper Harbor is nothing short of INCREDIBLE! It's one of the best places I've ridden, and I've ridden out West, East, and down South. Marquette is also fantastic, and the trail network there just keeps getting better and better thanks to am amazing trailbuilding/designing crew. Both are well worth a few days of riding. Be sure to hit the Michigan Tech trails while passing through Houghton on the way to Copper Harbor.....another great trail network.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby Arly » July 2nd, 2012, 2:48 pm

As others have stated, the Porkies are lame, least they are for MBing. Been there and done what they call “MB trials” and not been back since,, least with a bike. We still go there but it’s for some fabulous XCing (skiing) and hiking.. Here in the Kewee we have 4 mountain bike trail systems. One here in Houghton is Mi Tech. One across the canal just north of Hancock, called Churning Rapids. Another at Calumet called Swedetown trails and of course Copper Harbor. All these systems are quite different from each other, and great in there own way. CH being our personal favorite but it’s not an extreme DH course either. Vast majority of trails up there are blue and 2 way. Here in the Hancock, Houghton area, we’d say that Tech would be our favorites. But we don’t just ride there, we like to do all the systems. These are all pretty well marked. If you have some specific questions, we’ll try answering them. If you go to the adventure dogs blog, you’d see photos taken at all the systems here, Hope that helps!

Arlyn, Sandy and the trail mutt Gromit.
Arly A
A tandem nerd, we ride them, love them, so we sell them.
Gromit’s adventure blog. http://trailmuttreports.blogspot.com/
Superiortandems.com 906-370-2911
Arly

Postby mazzmond » July 11th, 2012, 7:28 am

My friend and I are taking a trip up there right after labor day to Copper Harbor and will be there 3-4 days. Obviously going to do the Copper Harbor trail system but wondering if you could give us an idea on what to ride besides that. We were thinking of doing the Michigan Tech trails as well.

Also, would be staying in Copper Harbor so any good places to stay. Won't be camping and prefer hot showers and a cool place near town.

Thanks.
mazzmond

Postby Arly » July 11th, 2012, 10:35 am

Tech have become our favorite trails in the immediate Houghton, Hancock area. Swedetown trails are very nice too but these are less technical and much flatter terrain but they also have a better flow, less rocks so you can zip right along on them. If you two are stronger riders (we're not) and can do hills, you could do all of ST trails and finish the day on Tech trails. If you let us know when you'll be here, we might be able to ride along and show you the “fun” way to do whatever trails. This offer goes for anyone who's up for rides. :D Our buddies at Cross Country sports in Calumet sell maps of Swedetown trails there. If you not riding with anyone who knows the system,, you might want to get one of these. Sorry but we can’t comment on motels in CH. Never been in any of them..

Hope that helps
Arly A
A tandem nerd, we ride them, love them, so we sell them.
Gromit’s adventure blog. http://trailmuttreports.blogspot.com/
Superiortandems.com 906-370-2911
Arly

Postby Jason » July 21st, 2012, 9:14 pm

Get a cabin at the pines in Copper harbor. They are very clean , fully stocked and are very affordable. Also right next to the Pines bar, across from the bike shop and a thirty second ride to the start of the trail system.

Jason
Jason

Return to NMMBA