NCT on the eastern U.P. side

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

NCT on the eastern U.P. side

Postby kalkaskawinterfest » July 5th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Any help as to what the trail is like on the eastern side of the U.P.....Sand, rock, Hills,flat, Easy to follow...Would like to do a 2-3 trip with my kid...20- 30 miles a day.. Just dont want to get up there and find out its a 30 mile beach ride
kalkaskawinterfest

Re: NCT on the eastern U.P. side

Postby ihateplaindave » July 5th, 2012, 12:57 pm

The part coming off the rails-to-trail at St. Ignace is marked "No Bikes". I've ridden the part where it crosses 123 (can't remember which town it was near) and it was fine, if a little rooty. As I recall, sand is not a problem on NCT in this part of the UP. Have fun!
ihateplaindave

Postby cjsbike » July 5th, 2012, 3:45 pm

According to the official NCTA map, bikes are not allowed on certified sections of the NCT in the Hiawatha National Forest.

Looking at the map, the only sections not certified are St. Ignace north (rail trail) to Castle Rock Road and just north of the Curley Lewis highway to the end of Tahqua Trail Road, mostly road.

I did a three dayer to Paradise on the Forest Service roads and observed many signs indicating no bikes allowed posted at the road crossings.

I hope this helps, Jim?

Chad
I ride QUIRING CYCLES!
cjsbike

Postby ihateplaindave » July 6th, 2012, 11:06 am

Where it crosses 123, there weren't any "no bikes" signs in either direction. This was a few years ago, but I seem to rememeber reading about others riding this area.
ihateplaindave

Postby cjsbike » July 6th, 2012, 2:10 pm

cjsbike wrote:just north of the Curley Lewis highway to the end of Tahqua Trail Road, mostly road

This is the first 123 crossing, bikes are allowed because of the trail not being a certified section.

The second 123 crossing is at the upper Tahquamenon Falls, no bike signs are posted on the north and south side of the road. This is NCT certified trail.

-Chad
I ride QUIRING CYCLES!
cjsbike

Postby kalkaskawinterfest » July 6th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Email from the NCT

As a National Scenic Trail, bikes are prohibited on the NCT most places. This is so in the Hiawatha National Forest on the sections from St. Ignace to Taqua Falls and in Taqua State Park. Only a few section of the NCT are open to bikes nationally. Michigan state forests allow bikes, but not state parks and there are a few section in the Manistee National Forest here in Michigan.
kalkaskawinterfest

Postby JonathanGennick » July 7th, 2012, 12:24 pm

kalkaskawinterfest wrote:Email from the NCT

As a National Scenic Trail, bikes are prohibited on the NCT most places.

Never mind of course, that bicycling was specifically listed as an intended use in the enabling legislation. It is true that the NCT organization has been effective at getting bikes banned up here in the U.P., but Congress original intent was to promote a variety of forms of recreation.

Here's a link:

http://www.wnymba.org/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=39

Read especially to section entitled "NCT Myths".

Following is a quote from the act. Notice that bicycling is the first listed use: "potential trail uses allowed on designated components of the national trails system may include, but are not limited to, the following: bicycling, cross-country skiing, day hiking, equestrian activities, jogging or similar fitness activities, trail biking, overnight and long-distance backpacking, snowmobiling, and surface water and underwater activities."

The Forest has allowed the hiking lobby to prevail over all other possible uses. The Forest Service has failed to carry out the intent of Congress, which is to provide for a multitude of wholesome activities.
JonathanGennick

Postby ihateplaindave » July 9th, 2012, 10:34 am

Hey, it even lists biking twice.
ihateplaindave

Return to NMMBA