Haywire Trail?

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Haywire Trail?

Postby kbj001 » August 20th, 2012, 10:58 pm

Hello -

I will be visiting friends in Manistique this weekend and plan to bring a bike along to sneak a few miles in.

I'd love to make it up to Marquette (or realllllly Copper Harbor) ... but due to limited time, I noticed the multi-use Haywire Trail - running out of Manistique, which heads towards Hiawatha National Forest. Any comments on this rail trail? I'll be bringing along a 29er - not looking for any complex single trail - just looking for some decent riding surface to get a couple of hours in the legs. Any comments on the Haywire or anything else relatively close (Bruno's Run?) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff
kbj001

Re: Haywire Trail?

Postby barrybs » August 21st, 2012, 12:22 am

Just rode Bruno's Run on Friday, great trail, beautifull scenery. It would be worth the 50 minute drive. Valley Spur ski trails are not much farther away and allow bikes. I have skied, but not biked them. Great skiing but didn't seem like they would be that interesting on a bike.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby Sortaslow » August 21st, 2012, 2:51 am

barrybs wrote:Just rode Bruno's Run on Friday, great trail, beautifull scenery. It would be worth the 50 minute drive. Valley Spur ski trails are not much farther away and allow bikes. I have skied, but not biked them. Great skiing but didn't seem like they would be that interesting on a bike.

Barry

Valley Spur has some really cool downhills. If can be fun. It's only double track trail though. I find it to be horribly marked in many places.

I only found Bruno's Run ok. As far as riding, nothing remarkable stands out, but if you're close, why not......
Sortaslow

Postby bleve » August 21st, 2012, 7:19 am

Bruno's Run is one of the most scenic trails in MI. You get to ride along lakeshore's and next to river's and streams. It's not a technical singletrack but it's still a good ride. I have the same opinion of Valley Spur as barrybs - I've skied it and thought it would be a relatively boring two track ride. But I've never biked it so I can't comment for sure.
bleve

Postby Nelg » August 22nd, 2012, 8:21 pm

bleve wrote:Bruno's Run is one of the most scenic trails in MI. You get to ride along lakeshore's and next to river's and streams. It's not a technical singletrack but it's still a good ride. I have the same opinion of Valley Spur as barrybs - I've skied it and thought it would be a relatively boring two track ride. But I've never biked it so I can't comment for sure.

Great description of Bruno's Run. Most of the trail isn't in itself remarkable in any way, but the scenery makes up for it.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Return to NMMBA