Marquette N. and S. Trail Work

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Marquette N. and S. Trail Work

Postby dmpeterson » August 21st, 2012, 6:57 am

I've heard that there is work going on on the trails in Marquette. Can anyone verify?

I love riding the south trails. Has anyone been riding up that way?
"Not all who wander are lost."
User avatar
dmpeterson
 
Posts: 40
Joined: July 26th, 2012, 2:36 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Marquette N. and S. Trail Work

Postby Mister P » August 21st, 2012, 8:27 am

There is lots of work happening with the Marquette trails. The NTN has two mini-excavators and multiple crews working on adding new trail. Recent additions to the south trails include;

- East Greywalls (red)
- Grom (purple)
- Porkie Pine Pass (green)
- Dogger Down (part of the Bike Jam MB race course)
- West Greywalls (red) should be open by season’s end

The north side of town is also getting some love with the new Dead River Basin loop (orange) underway. Collinsville Cut, the first section of this new loop, is signed & open for riding. [url]http:/letsbikemqt.com/new-north-trail-offers-sweet-features/[/url] The next section of this trail, Blue Heron Bluff, will be started very shortly.
Mister P
 
Posts: 13
Joined: June 20th, 2005, 7:49 am
Location: Marquette

Re: Marquette N. and S. Trail Work

Postby dmpeterson » August 21st, 2012, 8:52 am

Thanks! I'm hoping to get back up there within the month. I got to ride E. Greywalls last time I was up there. I love that section. It's a blast. We were flying through the last part of it.
"Not all who wander are lost."
User avatar
dmpeterson
 
Posts: 40
Joined: July 26th, 2012, 2:36 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Marquette N. and S. Trail Work

Postby TheyCallMeBruce » August 21st, 2012, 6:39 pm

Mister P wrote:The north side of town is also getting some love with the new Dead River Basin loop (orange) underway. Collinsville Cut, the first section of this new loop, is signed & open for riding. [url]http:/letsbikemqt.com/new-north-trail-offers-sweet-features/[/url] The next section of this trail, Blue Heron Bluff, will be started very shortly.

This is awesome. Is there a map of the proposed trail? Am building a house in Blue Heron Bluff right now, looks like there's some trailbuilding in my future also. :D

dmpeterson wrote:Thanks! I'm hoping to get back up there within the month. I got to ride E. Greywalls last time I was up there. I love that section. It's a blast. We were flying through the last part of it.
Have you tried the Georgeous loop? If you like Greywalls you should also like that.
User avatar
TheyCallMeBruce
 
Posts: 495
Joined: January 14th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Location: Marquette

Re: Marquette N. and S. Trail Work

Postby dmpeterson » August 21st, 2012, 8:52 pm

I haven't tried the Gorgeous loop yet. I haven't even heard of that one. I'm getting fairly antsy to get back up there. We have been up there biking as late as November. There is still time at least before the summer runs out!
"Not all who wander are lost."
User avatar
dmpeterson
 
Posts: 40
Joined: July 26th, 2012, 2:36 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Marquette N. and S. Trail Work

Postby Mister P » August 22nd, 2012, 11:26 am

TheyCallMeBruce wrote:This is awesome. Is there a map of the proposed trail? Am building a house in Blue Heron Bluff right now, looks like there's some trailbuilding in my future also. :D


I don't believe there's an official map yet. Sounds like you're going to have a front row seat to some sweet single track.

dmpeterson wrote:I haven't tried the Gorgeous loop yet. I haven't even heard of that one. I'm getting fairly antsy to get back up there. We have been up there biking as late as November. There is still time at least before the summer runs out!


The Gorge-ous trail is the section of the yellow trail betwixt the main trail head on 553 and the Carp river crossing. Definitely worth a ride.
Mister P
 
Posts: 13
Joined: June 20th, 2005, 7:49 am
Location: Marquette

Re: Marquette N. and S. Trail Work

Postby dmpeterson » August 22nd, 2012, 12:51 pm

Mister P wrote:
TheyCallMeBruce wrote:The Gorge-ous trail is the section of the yellow trail betwixt the main trail head on 553 and the Carp river crossing. Definitely worth a ride.


It sounds like we are going to have to get together for a ride the next time we come up to Marquette, which I'm hoping is very soon. I miss living in the UP! There was so much more to do. :alien: lol.
"Not all who wander are lost."
User avatar
dmpeterson
 
Posts: 40
Joined: July 26th, 2012, 2:36 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Marquette N. and S. Trail Work

Postby TheyCallMeBruce » August 24th, 2012, 4:50 pm

Mister P wrote:The Gorge-ous trail is the section of the yellow trail betwixt the main trail head on 553 and the Carp river crossing. Definitely worth a ride.


Crappy cellphone pic. You can see the Carp river at the lower right corner about 50' down. Remember to keep left!

Image

dmpeterson wrote:It sounds like we are going to have to get together for a ride the next time we come up to Marquette, which I'm hoping is very soon. I miss living in the UP! There was so much more to do. :alien: lol.


HaHa I don't mind showing you the trails I know about, but you probably don't want to ride with me. I'm just an old fart heading to the UP to retire. I do plan on heading up Thursday for Labor Day weekend.
User avatar
TheyCallMeBruce
 
Posts: 495
Joined: January 14th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Location: Marquette


Return to NMMBA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest