HCP Fall Fun 50-Sept. 29th, 2012

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Re: HCP Fall Fun 50-Sept. 29th, 2012

Postby MMMHills » September 27th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Nelg wrote:If anyone wants to come out early on Friday, I'll be doing some bridge repair at Van Helen Creek. I could totally use a extra hand or two.

PM me if you can get there!

What time?
Do you want to know about the most amazing Gravel Grinder with a $12,300 cash purse
Then click below
http://www.MichiganMountainMayhem.com
MMMHills

Postby Nelg » September 27th, 2012, 1:55 pm

MMMHills wrote:
Nelg wrote:If anyone wants to come out early on Friday, I'll be doing some bridge repair at Van Helen Creek. I could totally use a extra hand or two.

PM me if you can get there!

What time?

I'd like to be working on the bridge by around lunch time. The repairs should be easy, but moving the material will be a bit of a pain.

Shoot me a note if you can make it.

Thanks!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby rvd » September 27th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Nelg wrote:
MMMHills wrote:Who has a garmin download for the whole route? I would like to have it loaded so I dont get lost.

We have awesome waterproof maps for sale, you won't need a gps with one of them.

If you don't have a Garmin that can display map, but you do have a smartphone, you can load this in your browser:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?relation=2438894 (this is the HCP portion of last year's fun50)

...or better yet, you can download the openstreetmap and/or opencyclemap apps; it is similar as google maps, only better (it includes user-generated content).
Only problem with the OSM/OCM apps, is that this HCP dataset may not yet be available. I just generated this today, and OSM/OCM update their maps only once a week, I believe.

Have fun! I can't make it this year. For the noobs, bring :idea:s despite what the experienced guys may say.
rvd

Postby UPNORTH » September 27th, 2012, 3:43 pm

rvd wrote:
If you don't have a Garmin that can display map, but you do have a smartphone, you can load this in your browser:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?relation=2438894 (this is the HCP portion of last year's fun50)

Have fun! I can't make it this year. For the noobs, bring :idea:s despite what the experienced guys may say.

This a little longer than the fun 50 but looks like a good route. If anyone is interested I would like to try to do the only section I have not yet done. It is between the Black river and Osmund Rd. We could be up and gone by say 8am and should be right about osmund rd when the fun 50 group starts and still do the fun 50. Just a thought because I do hate the begining.
UPNORTH

Postby Nelg » September 27th, 2012, 3:51 pm

UPNORTH wrote:
rvd wrote:

This a little longer than the fun 50 but looks like a good route. If anyone is interested I would like to try to do the only section I have not yet done. It is between the Black river and Osmund Rd. We could be up and gone by say 8am and should be right about osmund rd when the fun 50 group starts and still do the fun 50. Just a thought because I do hate the begining.

This would work out killer if you could roll at 7:30 and use your vehicle at the drop at M33. M33 to Black River Road is about 4-5 miles and you'll have no dirt road driving. :)
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » September 27th, 2012, 3:52 pm

rvd wrote:
Nelg wrote:
MMMHills wrote:Who has a garmin download for the whole route? I would like to have it loaded so I dont get lost.

We have awesome waterproof maps for sale, you won't need a gps with one of them.

...or better yet, you can download the openstreetmap and/or opencyclemap apps; it is similar as google maps, only better (it includes user-generated content).
Only problem with the OSM/OCM apps, is that this HCP dataset may not yet be available. I just generated this today, and OSM/OCM update their maps only once a week, I believe.

That map is really cool! Too bad I don't have a Garmin or a smartphone to utilize that info :(
Mike_D

Postby rvd » September 27th, 2012, 4:16 pm

UPNORTH wrote:
rvd wrote:

This a little longer than the fun 50 but looks like a good route.

Last year's fun 50 was the 'fun' '50'.
- No drop cars
- CW direction
- return to camp via M33
- ~65 miles
rvd

Postby Mike_D » September 27th, 2012, 4:38 pm

rvd wrote:
UPNORTH wrote:
rvd wrote:

- No drop cars
- CW direction
- return to camp via M33
- ~65 miles

So ~58 miles of HCP and ~7 miles of a road ride on M33 but no drop cars? Hmmm.... Maybe I better pack my larger Camelbak for the option to carry food if this decidedly becomes a viable option due to the alcohol consumption Friday night...
Mike_D

Postby UPNORTH » September 27th, 2012, 5:59 pm

I was thinking of having my wife drop me at Black river so I could see that section. Anyone is welcome to get a lift sat morning. The gears on my SS are not suited to road riding. So I am not going to ride the road. Just an idea. And Nelg I could have my wife drive a drop car for you to M-33 about 7:30. This way she could use our vehicale during the day if she needs to. Shes not sure if she wants to go to rattlesnake and bike back.
UPNORTH

Postby football44 » September 27th, 2012, 8:17 pm

My wife will have a vehicle, too. But she's not the type who can be recruited to give up a day roaming around the back country just to wait for me. Although I'm up for the 80 miler, I've never been a slave to convention. Possibilities.....
football44

Postby purple helmet » September 27th, 2012, 9:04 pm

rvd wrote:
UPNORTH wrote:
rvd wrote:

- No drop cars
- CW direction
- return to camp via M33
- ~65 miles

and dark. So very very dark.
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby bh357 » September 28th, 2012, 6:34 am

I could be up for the "fun 55ish", starting at Black River. Last fall was a nice ride, although we did get rolling a little on the later side.
Start early, have a nice long but not killer ride, and plenty of time for BEvEReges afterwards :D
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby purple helmet » September 28th, 2012, 7:23 am

the section right at 33 is really, really cool. If you're looking for something between the 50 and 80 I'd recommend that.... just park the 33 car and roll out.
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby football44 » September 30th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Did anyone get the total elavation gained/climbing for the 80? My iPhone died just before rattlesnake hill.
football44

Postby MMMHills » September 30th, 2012, 6:24 pm

football44 wrote:Did anyone get the total elavation gained/climbing for the 80? My iPhone died just before rattlesnake hill.

My Garmen died as well but on the two routes I saw on garmen connect one said 6300 and the other 5900.

Great riding with everyone I had a blast.
Do you want to know about the most amazing Gravel Grinder with a $12,300 cash purse
Then click below
http://www.MichiganMountainMayhem.com
MMMHills

PreviousNext

Return to NMMBA