HCP Fall Fun 50-Sept. 29th, 2012

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Re: HCP Fall Fun 50-Sept. 29th, 2012

Postby purple helmet » September 25th, 2012, 2:50 pm

I wouldn't worry about elk hunters. They have a very limited number of licenses, and they are not the usual whitetail yahoos...
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby MMMHills » September 25th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Looks like the schedule is cooperating and I will be able to make this one. I should get there Friday between 5-6 and am planning on giving the 80 a try.

I was going to bring my elk horn helmet but might reconsider after reading the above post.
Check out the Michigan Mountain Mayhem Gravel Grinder, Huge purse and a KOM contest
click below
http://www.MichiganMountainMayhem.com
MMMHills

Postby alexyoung » September 25th, 2012, 9:39 pm

purple helmet wrote:something to whet the appetite for crazy long rides...

full album

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/thomasjlandry/HCP/

Will this be on the 50 mile loop? Thx.
alexyoung

Postby Mike_D » September 25th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Yep. The 80, the 50, and the 30. It is on the top of Rattlesnake Hill on the south end of the HCP about ~14 miles (just guessing) from camp.
Mike_D

Postby alexyoung » September 25th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Awesome! Two more pesky days at work, then the 8 hour drive commences!
alexyoung

Postby MMMHills » September 26th, 2012, 7:02 am

I am the event coordinator for the Michigan Mountain Mayhem and have access to 5 gallon water coolers, ice, water and Hammer products. I was thinking about bringing stuff that we could leave in the cars to make it easier. We could leave each car with a jug filled with ice and a 5 gallon jug of water and cans of HEED. Then we all could fill up our bottles with ice cold water and mix it with what ever we want.

How many cars will we drop? It looked like 4 but I am not sure.
Check out the Michigan Mountain Mayhem Gravel Grinder, Huge purse and a KOM contest
click below
MMMHills

Postby feldpaj » September 26th, 2012, 7:04 am

trying to decide what route to ride,
havent ridden much since my crash, but then, i never trained for the HCP before...
I am thinking 50 or 80.
Are the 80 riders running lights in the morning and then having one in the last car, or just carrying it all day? I only have a crappy commuter light and i dont know that it would survive the HCP.
Am i stubborn enough to do the 80...
Or do i want to go "easy" and do the 50 and enjoy it more, drink more beer, eat more food...
The last summer ride and the last fall ride i think i finished in the dark....
to do: bike-eat-brew beer-drink beer-board-hunt-sleep-work-
feldpaj

Postby Mike_D » September 26th, 2012, 7:23 am

MMMHills wrote:I am the event coordinator for the Michigan Mountain Mayhem and have access to 5 gallon water coolers, ice, water and Hammer products. I was thinking about bringing stuff that we could leave in the cars to make it easier. We could leave each car with a jug filled with ice and a 5 gallon jug of water and cans of HEED. Then we all could fill up our bottles with ice cold water and mix it with what ever we want.

How many cars will we drop? It looked like 4 but I am not sure.

Most people just put some of their own water, food, etc. in each of the drop cars but you are welcome to bring the water jugs, etc. if you want. My guess is there will be 2-3 drop cars.
Mike_D

Postby purple helmet » September 26th, 2012, 7:33 am

Coolers would be nice.. I personally don't care for HEED, but I'm sure you will have some takers.

4 cars are ideal. It's pretty easy to skip the M-33 car, but that's the easiest one to drop and pick up. We'll see how many people show. Generally we just drop a couple gallons of water there and call it good.

Hardest car to place is Pigeon Bridge, and it's also the most important. If we don't have any 30 riders then we need a couple of brave souls to leave camp around 7:30 to drop it and then meet the Osmun group to start the 50.

Best advice, get drop bags ready before you come up north. 50 riders get 2, 80 riders get 4. We need to have all of that ready to go before bed Friday.
purple helmet

Postby MMMHills » September 26th, 2012, 8:30 am

purple helmet wrote:Coolers would be nice.. I personally don't care for HEED, but I'm sure you will have some takers.

4 cars are ideal. It's pretty easy to skip the M-33 car, but that's the easiest one to drop and pick up. We'll see how many people show. Generally we just drop a couple gallons of water there and call it good.

Hardest car to place is Pigeon Bridge, and it's also the most important. If we don't have any 30 riders then we need a couple of brave souls to leave camp around 7:30 to drop it and then meet the Osmun group to start the 50.

Best advice, get drop bags ready before you come up north. 50 riders get 2, 80 riders get 4. We need to have all of that ready to go before bed Friday.

I will bring 4 just in case and will also bring an assortment of HEED for those that want it. I know not everyone likes it and that is why the jugs will have plan ice cold water. We can do with it what we want. Good idea on having the bags ready before we come.

feldpaj wrote:trying to decide what route to ride,
havent ridden much since my crash, but then, i never trained for the HCP before...
I am thinking 50 or 80.
Are the 80 riders running lights in the morning and then having one in the last car, or just carrying it all day? I only have a crappy commuter light and i dont know that it would survive the HCP.
Am i stubborn enough to do the 80...
Or do i want to go "easy" and do the 50 and enjoy it more, drink more beer, eat more food...
The last summer ride and the last fall ride i think i finished in the dark....

I estimate it will take between 9.5 -11 hours depending on the rider. It is daylight from 8:00 am - 7:00 pm. I have not done this ride before but if we leave at 6:00 will we need a light at the end?
click below
MMMHills

Postby purple helmet » September 26th, 2012, 9:35 am

the HCP laughs at your fancy plan :lol::evil:

I will probably just leave the light strapped to the bike. Could possibly throw a cheap little flashlight in the pack, then drop the light at the first car... but I have ridden out in the dark more often than not. Either my math or my riding sucks, apparently ;-)
purple helmet

Postby Nelg » September 26th, 2012, 10:31 am

MMMHills wrote:
I estimate it will take between 9.5 -11 hours depending on the rider. It is daylight from 8:00 am - 7:00 pm. I have not done this ride before but if we leave at 6:00 will we need a light at the end?

I'm digging the cooler idea, and by all means bring a light if you plan on doing the 80 miler. You can always just leave it at the Rattlesnake or Pigeon Bridge car so it's not on you the whole time. The ride takes most folks any where from 11 to 15 hours so it ends in the dark for some. Once in a blue moon some one will smoke it in the 10 hour range, but conditions and conditioning needs to be perfect.

Also, a spare derailleur hanger and derailleur is never a bad idea. :)
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » September 26th, 2012, 10:38 am

Nelg wrote:Also, a spare derailleur hanger and derailleur is never a bad idea. :)

What is that? :twisted:

Zip ties are handy for broken spokes while we are on the topic of trailside repair...
Mike_D

Postby alexyoung » September 26th, 2012, 11:33 am

My resolve to stick with my plan to just do the 50 is weakening. The 80 is looking more and more legit.plus it's the only one i have a complete Garmin route for...
alexyoung

Postby purple helmet » September 26th, 2012, 12:15 pm

for reference, the 80 is equivalent to 120-130 of normal (groomed) trail.

just sayin 8-)
purple helmet

PreviousNext

Return to NMMBA