HCP work days

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

HCP work days

Postby Nelg » March 15th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Hey everyone, right now we are targeting April 27 and May 11 for the HCP work days this spring. It sounds like the damage is pretty bad this year, that whole region got 12" to 18" of heavy wet snow so we'll have our work cut out for us.

April 27 we'll be staying at the Staff House at the Pigeon River Headquaters, May 11 will be at Clear Lake camping Friday night before and Saturday afterwards to accommodate those that travel. NMMBA will provide your dinner and camping, just bring your bike, any tools you whink will be handy and enough supplies to stay hydrated and energized on the trail for a 6 to 10 hour day.

I'll post up more details as they develop.

Can't wait to hit the HCP, we have lots of great stuff in store for it this season!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Re: HCP work days

Postby bh357 » March 16th, 2013, 7:48 am

I'll be up for one of the days as long as work and family permit.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby Mike_D » March 18th, 2013, 12:28 am

I will also try to be available at least 1 of those days. Will have to move my son back home from college around that time but not sure when that is. That may dictate my availability. Maybe I can talk him into coming along to help out "for fun" :roll:
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » March 18th, 2013, 7:24 am

mntn-biker wrote:I will also try to be available at least 1 of those days. Will have to move my son back home from college around that time but not sure when that is. That may dictate my availability. Maybe I can talk him into coming along to help out "for fun" :roll:

Hope he can ride and remove branches and debris for a few hours. We can use him if he can keep up. :)
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » March 18th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Nelg wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:I will also try to be available at least 1 of those days. Will have to move my son back home from college around that time but not sure when that is. That may dictate my availability. Maybe I can talk him into coming along to help out "for fun" :roll:

Hope he can ride and remove branches and debris for a few hours. We can use him if he can keep up. :)

That's right. I forgot that you ride and clear trail. He's not hip on riding so I bet he will say no. I wouldn't take him on the HCP especially since he doesn't like to ride as slow a pace and as rough as that trail is. Maybe he would be game for doing some hiking and clearing instead??? Just thinking of a way to do some father/son bonding when he gets back from college. We could always part at a certain intersection and hike in and then hike back out. Could maybe even get drop a car and then get dropped off at a certain intersection and do that section in between on foot. Wouldn't be the most efficient or fastest way of clearing but better than nothing at all. I just know he would be into the camping aspect of it.

I will ask regardless.
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » March 19th, 2013, 6:47 am

mntn-biker wrote:
Nelg wrote:

That's right. I forgot that you ride and clear trail. He's not hip on riding so I bet he will say no. I wouldn't take him on the HCP especially since he doesn't like to ride as slow a pace and as rough as that trail is. Maybe he would be game for doing some hiking and clearing instead??? Just thinking of a way to do some father/son bonding when he gets back from college. We could always part at a certain intersection and hike in and then hike back out. Could maybe even get drop a car and then get dropped off at a certain intersection and do that section in between on foot. Wouldn't be the most efficient or fastest way of clearing but better than nothing at all. I just know he would be into the camping aspect of it.

I will ask regardless.

I've got a section in mind for you guys, no bike, no problem. :)
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » March 20th, 2013, 9:45 pm

Nelg wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:
Nelg wrote:

I will ask regardless.

I've got a section in mind for you guys, no bike, no problem. :)

My son is out. He gets out of school the 3rd I think and he says he just wants to chill for a bit when he gets home. That along with not wanting to ride for 3-4 hours to get up to camp. Yeah, he's had a stressful semester so he's earned it I suppose.

Now I will have to see how my work schedule pans out to see which of the 2 weekends I can make it up. I won't be able to do both with as much work that has been on my plate as of late.
Mike_D

Postby Nechan » March 23rd, 2013, 6:31 pm

I hope to make both days. Looking forward to doing some trail maintenance.

Nechan
Nechan

Postby Mike_D » April 14th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Put me down for the April 27th trail day.

Are we staying only the night of the 27th at the staff house? I have a 3-4 hour drive up from Grand Rapids so I would probably be needing to stay up there someplace Friday night since I'm guessing we'll be getting an early'ish start Saturday morning. Also, are we doing trail work on Sunday as well? The Mrs. will be wanting to know my approximate return time on Sunday......

Was just looking at a modeled snow depth map.... Maybe we'll be bringing snow shoes instead of bikes? :roll:
Last edited by Mike_D on April 15th, 2013, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » April 15th, 2013, 7:58 am

Hey Mike!

We'll be camping Friday and Saturday nights both work days so your lodging will be covered by the chapter. Your Saturday night meal will also be covered by the chapter and we'll have some on-trail food available too. We might even have some frosty beverages provided by a stellar sponsor who likes to reward us for our hard work. :)

I was worried about the snow pack, but we have almost no nights dropping below freezing in the forecast and some good sunny and rainy days. Spring is finally making it's way to the north!

See you in a couple weeks at the headquarters staff house (next door to the HQ building)
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » April 15th, 2013, 8:36 am

Nelg wrote:Hey Mike!

We'll be camping Friday and Saturday nights both work days so your lodging will be covered by the chapter. Your Saturday night meal will also be covered by the chapter and we'll have some on-trail food available too. We might even have some frosty beverages provided by a stellar sponsor who likes to reward us for our hard work. :)

I was worried about the snow pack, but we have almost no nights dropping below freezing in the forecast and some good sunny and rainy days. Spring is finally making it's way to the north!

See you in a couple weeks at the headquarters staff house (next door to the HQ building)

So we're not sleeping in the staff house? I'm confused. Everything else sounds good and I'm down with whatever for sleeping arrangements but just need to know whether I need to pack a tent.
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » April 15th, 2013, 9:03 am

mntn-biker wrote:

So we're not sleeping in the staff house? I'm confused. Everything else sounds good and I'm down with whatever for sleeping arrangements but just need to know whether I need to pack a tent.

My apologies no tent needed on the 27th. We do have the staff house but it's not heated so it's partially roughing it. May 11 will be tent camping.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby jpw700 » April 15th, 2013, 10:20 am

Recent recon reported to me indicates varying snow depth up to about 1ft.on the trail with MANY trees down.
Looks like we have our work cut out for us!
jpw700

Postby Mike_D » April 15th, 2013, 10:27 am

Nelg wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:

My apologies no tent needed on the 27th. We do have the staff house but it's not heated so it's partially roughing it. May 11 will be tent camping.

Just to clarify... Are we "roughing it" in the staff house on Friday night as well?
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » April 15th, 2013, 10:36 am

Yes, no tent needed and we'll be at the staff house both Friday and Saturday.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Next

Return to NMMBA