HCP Summer Solstice Ride- June 1st, 2013

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Re: HCP Summer Solstice Ride- June 1st, 2013

Postby Mike_D » May 29th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Doug and I are only looking to do a "social paced" 35. We are kinda hoping to be able to ride from clear lake cw to the pigeon car. Neither of us have ridden this direction before & it would be kinda nice to not have to go out & pick up the pigeon car after the ride.
Mike_D

Postby purple helmet » May 30th, 2013, 5:30 am

Mike_D wrote:Doug and I are only looking to do a "social paced" 35. We are kinda hoping to be able to ride from clear lake cw to the pigeon car. Neither of us have ridden this direction before & it would be kinda nice to not have to go out & pick up the pigeon car after the ride.

Super nice, actually..
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby Nelg » May 30th, 2013, 7:43 am

Mike_D wrote:Doug and I are only looking to do a "social paced" 35. We are kinda hoping to be able to ride from clear lake cw to the pigeon car. Neither of us have ridden this direction before & it would be kinda nice to not have to go out & pick up the pigeon car after the ride.

Ali and I planed on doing a Shingle Mill loop then back to Clear Lake, could work out perfect!

Weather is looking a little iffy right now, cross your fingers for a dry update!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Mike_D » May 30th, 2013, 8:09 am

Nelg wrote:

Ali and I planed on doing a Shingle Mill loop then back to Clear Lake, could work out perfect!

The only thing that could kill this idea is won't the 80 milers need that car in case they bail??? Now that I think of it, I suppose if the 80 milers had specific instructions not to leave with that car til Doug and myself were to show up, it could work. And vice versa, we would have to wait for all of the 80 milers to pass us before we take that car.
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » May 30th, 2013, 8:14 am

Mike_D wrote:
Nelg wrote:

The only thing that could kill this idea is won't the 80 milers need that car in case they bail??? Now that I think of it, I suppose if the 80 milers had specific instructions not to leave with that car til Doug and myself were to show up, it could work. And vice versa, we would have to wait for all of the 80 milers to pass us before we take that car.

You just get to stay up later drinking beer and start later. ;)

FYI, for all newcomers to this thread, there are way more ride options than just 50 and 80 miles. So many ways to roll your own, just come out and have fun!
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Nechan » May 30th, 2013, 9:02 am

Jeff and I are heading up today. We will ride the 80 clockwise tomorrow. Jeff then has to get back home, but I will stay through til Sunday. If the HCP gods are merciful and there is enough of me and my bike left, I will get back in the saddle Saturday and see how far I can go counter-clockwise.
Nechan
Nechan

Postby Mike_D » May 30th, 2013, 9:04 am

Mike_D wrote:
bh357 wrote:Gonna be a "fun" time on the boardwalks :shock: :lol:

Mike, if there's still room in the cabin, I'm interested.

Fo Sho! This will be a repeat of last year's Soltice ride except temps will be in the 70's not 40's....

Yes Brad, there is room for you - I'll put you down. Room for 1 more in the dry cabin :wink: If we get 1 more taker, the cost is only $12/night per person :icon_thumleft: Jon Rose mentioned he might be interested but I don't have any contact info for him.

Jon just got back with me this morning so the mini cabin beds are full.
Mike_D

Postby bh357 » May 30th, 2013, 9:49 am

I'm in it for the "50" this year, and even that will be a challenge with my lack of riding this past winter/spring.

I'll be up there sometime around 8:30 pm or so tomorrow.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby Mike_D » May 30th, 2013, 10:06 am

Nelg wrote:Ali and I planed on doing a Shingle Mill loop!

Depending on logistics, legs, etc., I might consider doing this loop as well before picking up the Pigeon car. There would definitely have to be some communication at the Pigeon car if I/we decide to do this. Think I might throw a pen and some paper in the Pigeon car lunchbox for note making to leave on the driver seat.

Brad, you could always join Doug and myself - I think we're doing Clear Lake to Pigeon CW. Throwing the Shingle Mill in at the end of the reverse 35 miler would net you 40 something and then you could always bail at the Pigeon car if you're not up for more than 35'ish.
Mike_D

Postby Nelg » May 30th, 2013, 10:41 am

Tick alert!

Bring the repellent and don't touch trees! They are horrible this year, especially on the Atlanta side.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby purple helmet » May 30th, 2013, 2:33 pm

great... now adding tweezers to my shopping list.

So far:
duct tape
beer
tweezers
purple helmet

Postby SteveF » May 31st, 2013, 6:32 am

Huh, ticks have 8 legs like a spider? I did not know that.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby balexander87 » May 31st, 2013, 7:26 am

SteveF wrote:Huh, ticks have 8 legs like a spider? I did not know that.

Indeed. They are actually arachnids.
balexander87

Postby purple helmet » May 31st, 2013, 8:51 am

if it's raining saturday night I'm buying a round from the top shelf at El-Bo Inn while we wait for pizza...
purple helmet

Postby Nelg » May 31st, 2013, 8:56 am

FYI,

After we busted our asses on the trail with over 140 volunteer hours this spring, mother nature stuck it to us. Atlanta had a big storm blow through and Clear Lake state park has upwards of 40 trees down they are dealing with. Expect the trail to the east to be a little more like a cyclocross course, no idea on the west.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

PreviousNext

Return to NMMBA