HCP Epic trail day and Fall Fun 50 - September 25th

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Re: HCP Epic trail day - September 25th

Postby Nelg » September 7th, 2010, 10:39 am

Nelg wrote:I was napping :) Actually, The Nelg has been busy preparing for the Logsplitter race. Now that it's over... I expect this place will wake-up?

Either I talked about myself in the third person like a douche or MudShine was using my login. ;)

Mr. Cook, a bunch of us will be working on Saturday dropping sign posts in at road crossings and if we have enough folks we'll be out brushing and cutting back face slappers on sections of trail. The shorter rides will happen in the afternoon and we'll do rides again on Sunday.

Those that are doing the 50 miler will be riding Saturday AM and doing trail work on Sunday. I'll be doing a scouting trip on Friday to work out the final game plan for the trail day sorting priority tasks and additional tasks pending the number of volunteers we end up with. If you want to bring a saw and backpack along with a bubble level and round nose shovel, you should be pretty versatile for the day.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby G.Cook » September 7th, 2010, 11:35 am

Thanks . Will do .
G.Cook

Postby purple helmet » September 9th, 2010, 11:36 am

Kind of thinking we only place 1 car for the Fun50 this fall. Maybe Black River road?

The only thing I don't like about the fall ride is getting that *beep* car at Pigeon Bridge... and if our numbers are going to be a little lower because of the trail day and whatnot it just gets more difficult...
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby purple helmet » September 9th, 2010, 11:55 am

purple helmet

Re: HCP Epic trail day and Fall Fun 50 - September 25th

Postby abissonette » September 10th, 2010, 12:19 pm

My husband and I will be there...this will be our first time @ this. We will be camping with our travel trailer and have 4 girls (grandparents are coming too). Curious what we can expect? What will the ride entail on Saturday? Sunday? We are really looking forward to helping out and having fun too!

Thanks
abissonette

Postby purple helmet » September 10th, 2010, 3:14 pm

abissonette wrote:My husband and I will be there...this will be our first time @ this. We will be camping with our travel trailer and have 4 girls (grandparents are coming too). Curious what we can expect? What will the ride entail on Saturday? Sunday? We are really looking forward to helping out and having fun too!

Thanks

oh dear, 4 girls! tempted to bring our 3, but don't want to interfere w/school and soccer...

um, hmmm, what to expect? been different every time for the past 7 years 8) the only constant over the years is the word "epic"

we have the schedule pretty well down, though. Saturday morning we pack into a couple of cars and leave around 9. Drive to the drop off point, gear up, and be riding around 10. fairly casual pace, but this can be a tough trail. count on 7-8 hours for the 45 miles (we round up 'cause someone ALWAYS gets lost). stop fairly often for pics/snax/crashes/pix of crashes. roll back into camp around dinner time, shower, eat, retrieve cars. beers and stories to follow.

we usually spot 2 cars along the way for food/water/emergencies. tempted to just drop one this fall. have to play it by ear. maybe count on hauling half of what you need for the day (if we only drop one car).

Sunday it's Glen's show, I'm planning on helping out till early afternoon or so if he needs us.
purple helmet

Postby Nelg » September 10th, 2010, 4:15 pm

abissonette wrote:My husband and I will be there...this will be our first time @ this. We will be camping with our travel trailer and have 4 girls (grandparents are coming too). Curious what we can expect? What will the ride entail on Saturday? Sunday? We are really looking forward to helping out and having fun too!

Thanks

Hey Aimee!

It really depends on what you are looking for ride wise. If you want a all day epic, certainly hop on the fun 50 train with Tom and crew on Saturday morning. Be ready for a seven to nine hour day in the saddle for that one.

If you are looking to get a smaller taste, join us for a work day until 1:00 PM and afterward we'll be doing a campground area ride and we may even send a group out to the Shingle Mill.

Sunday will be the work day for the fun 50 riders, and a roll your own day for the Saturday work crew. There will be a ton of ride options available both short and a little more epic. :) Just bring a variety of clothes as the weather is never predictable and of course your sense of adventure.

Can't wait to see you guys there!
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby purple helmet » September 15th, 2010, 11:51 am

half toying w/the idea of the ful 80. anyone that HASN'T been on Team Marvin for the better part of the riding season thinking of doing the whole thing??
purple helmet

Postby bh357 » September 15th, 2010, 6:24 pm

purple helmet wrote:half toying w/the idea of the ful 80. anyone that HASN'T been on Team Marvin for the better part of the riding season thinking of doing the whole thing??

I'm half toying with the idea of doing the 80 also. Been off MARVIN for a few months now, and seeing as the 2nd half of the riding season is the better part, I think I qualify :wink:

I'm also thinking about doing the Fun 50 but starting at Clear Lake and riding to Osmun Road. This plan will work best if there are enough people (myself included) who do this as there are cars taking the Fun 50 people to Osmun.

Lots of advantages to this plan for both forwards and bass-ackwards riders:
Cars at Osmun get driven back by the "05 nuF" riders
Above referenced car driving activity takes half the time as the normal drive out and pick up the cars thing
Opportunity for the "05 nuF" riders to have a meal that someone else prepares, not over a campfire, after a long day on the trail
Start on the trail straight from Clear Lake SP, thereby completing the entire "50", without the temptation to "sneak in the back door" off of 622.
Chance to meet up with the regular Fun 50 riders somewhere between the firetower-ish and Pigeon
Chance to ride the trail in the opposite direction than you normally ride it. Just like a brand-new trail... it'll be an adventure :D
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby purple helmet » September 15th, 2010, 7:16 pm

bh357 wrote:
purple helmet wrote:half toying w/the idea of the ful 80. anyone that HASN'T been on Team Marvin for the better part of the riding season thinking of doing the whole thing??

I'm half toying with the idea of doing the 80 also. Been off MARVIN for a few months now, and seeing as the 2nd half of the riding season is the better part, I think I qualify :wink:

I'm also thinking about doing the Fun 50 but starting at Clear Lake and riding to Osmun Road. This plan will work best if there are enough people (myself included) who do this as there are cars taking the Fun 50 people to Osmun.

Lots of advantages to this plan for both forwards and bass-ackwards riders:
Cars at Osmun get driven back by the "05 nuF" riders
Above referenced car driving activity takes half the time as the normal drive out and pick up the cars thing
Opportunity for the "05 nuF" riders to have a meal that someone else prepares, not over a campfire, after a long day on the trail
Start on the trail straight from Clear Lake SP, thereby completing the entire "50", without the temptation to "sneak in the back door" off of 622.
Chance to meet up with the regular Fun 50 riders somewhere between the firetower-ish and Pigeon
Chance to ride the trail in the opposite direction than you normally ride it. Just like a brand-new trail... it'll be an adventure :D

you had me at "beer" :D

sounds like a plan. we'll need to see who shows up and if we can get a leader for the Fun 50 riders...
purple helmet

Postby Nelg » September 15th, 2010, 7:25 pm

How many hours of daylight do you think one would need to ride to pigeon bride from the campground? I was figuring six hours, but not sure.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby purple helmet » September 16th, 2010, 6:11 am

Nelg wrote:How many hours of daylight do you think one would need to ride to pigeon bride from the campground? I was figuring six hours, but not sure.

6 sounds very safe...
purple helmet

Postby Nelg » September 16th, 2010, 6:27 am

purple helmet wrote:
Nelg wrote:How many hours of daylight do you think one would need to ride to pigeon bride from the campground? I was figuring six hours, but not sure.

6 sounds very safe...

Hmmmm, clear lake to pigeon in the afternoon.....
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby purple helmet » September 17th, 2010, 11:44 am

Nelg wrote:
purple helmet wrote:

6 sounds very safe...

then all we'd need is someone to drive to pigeon in the morning and ride back to camp. cars would be all accounted for (provided BH and I do the bass-ackwards 50...)
purple helmet

Postby Nelg » September 17th, 2010, 1:00 pm

purple helmet wrote:
Nelg wrote:
purple helmet wrote:

6 sounds very safe...

then all we'd need is someone to drive to pigeon in the morning and ride back to camp. cars would be all accounted for (provided BH and I do the bass-ackwards 50...)

I'm game if I can roll by 2:00 and some brave soul with a light wishes to join me. Could be a fun first HCP ride for a newbie too!
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

PreviousNext

Return to NMMBA