Any trails near Empire - Frankfort?

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

Any trails near Empire - Frankfort?

Postby agfrag » July 1st, 2010, 9:23 pm

I'll be up in the Empire Frankfort area next week, any trails up that way? I know of Vasa, and I'll probably hit that, but I wonder if there's anything closer to the coast.
agfrag

Re: Any trails near Empire - Frankfort?

Postby Nelg » July 1st, 2010, 9:56 pm

Arcadia is a must hit trail. It's in the CS Mott nature preserve at the St.Pierre trailhead.

http://www.gtrlc.org/preserves/preservemap.php

Lots of rollers, beautiful bench cut ridges under a canopy of hardwoods.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby SteveF » July 2nd, 2010, 7:33 am

I'll second Arcadia Dunes--I rode there a week or two ago. Took some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40738390@N ... 324134254/

Some pics in there of Vasa and Mackinaw Island trails too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40738390@N ... 199439013/

It's a beautiful area...have a good time!
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby bender13 » July 2nd, 2010, 7:40 am

Is the MTB trailhead at St. Pierre or Old Baldy? I plan to be in the area next week and want to give it a shot. I will be at Mackinaw as well.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Trails-Edge Racing
National Mountain Bike Patrol
bender13

Postby sneakers » July 2nd, 2010, 8:09 am

The trail head is on St. Pierre Rd.
sneakers

Postby Sortaslow » July 2nd, 2010, 8:17 am

Here are some great trails all within 1 hour of Frankfort (sometimes a bit more or less--how fast do you drive on 2 lane country roads?)

Try:

Arcadia. A must do.

VASA. About 40-60 minutes form Frankfort and worth the drive. DO the VASA singletrack. Very nice trail and single speed friendly. I always see many SS out there. This is a scenic trail with a few vistas, wide open portions, tight singletrack, etc. Not very technical, but fun. It's only 14 miles and a quick 14 at that. 1.5 hours going very easily and with lots of stops.
Off of Supply Road, east of Hobb's highway. This one is on MMBA here. Also look on Mich DNR site for address. Be sure to do the mountainbike singletrack and not the doubletrack ski trails.

Sand Lakes Quite Area. Nothing too great for MB, but a MB trail nonetheless. And SS friendly. Look at Mich DNR site for address.

Muncie Lakes. I would avoid. The horses have taken over and turned it into into bog like sand traps. This was just last October when I visited. The horses do not stay on the horse trails at all, so the going is horrible.

Lake Ann Pathway. About 20-35 minutes from Frankfort? Another quick ride at 6 miles. It's also split in half by a road. The trailhead starts at a campsite and flows down by the Platte River via a wooden boardwalk as it can stay wet in the lower river area. You will also pass by Lake Ann. Most of this trail is SS friendly given strong legs and lungs. A couple of fun downhills too. Look on Mich DNR site for address.

Bestie River Pathway. VERY SS friendly and very close to Frankfort. 10 mi total and mostly flat except for the portion near the Betsie River. This reminds me (if you can figure it out) that this trail connects with the Crystal Mt. resort trails. Look on Mich DNR site for address.

Crystal Mountain Resort. Not the best MB trails, but it has a few scattered. Try coming up the back of the mt on a trail called Screaming Eagle. It ends by coming down a ski hill and into the parking lot. If you can find them look for ( trying to remember...) pineapple trail and another silly named trail? Once in the resort you cross a road to get to them. They are quick-- less than 2 mile little trails. These are free trails and they may have maps at the info center. 12500 Crystal Mt. Drive Thompsonville, 49683.
Sortaslow

Postby bh357 » July 2nd, 2010, 9:36 am

To add to Sortaslow's list (also around an hour of Frankfort):

NCT Section A - trailhead is on Beers Road just west of Hodenpyl Dam Road (SSW of Mesick). Big ravines and lots of bench cut trail. Not a loop, so you have to do an out-n-back. I highly recommend this ride :D

NCT Baxter Bridge/Highbanks Rollaway section - trailhead is on No 29 1/2 road where it crosses the Manistee River (south of Kingsley). A little over an hour from Frankfort. Bring your climbing legs (or bike shoes which are comfortable for walking in :twisted: ). I have heard this section referred to as the *beep* Bridge section.

Big M - Take M55 east from Manistee to Udell Hills Road. The inner loop stuff is wider (XC ski trails), but the outer loop stuff was designed for bikes. The NCT also passes through Big M.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby kalkaskawinterfest » July 2nd, 2010, 11:34 am

I will be in Glenn Arbor for the weekend. Plan on both road and trail rides
kalkaskawinterfest

Postby trout_smith » July 2nd, 2010, 12:11 pm

I second the NCT Mesick section. I try to ride it a couple of times a year. Lot's of climbing and fun descents. And the views are outrageous.
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby agfrag » July 2nd, 2010, 9:15 pm

Excellent response! I can't hit them all, but I'll sure be doing VASA, Betsie River, and Arcadia! Thanks :mrgreen:
agfrag

Postby Nelg » July 2nd, 2010, 9:38 pm

agfrag wrote:Excellent response! I can't hit them all, but I'll sure be doing VASA, Betsie River, and Arcadia! Thanks :mrgreen:

VASA is flat but fun, NCT and Big M are way cooler, and closer. :)
Last edited by Nelg on September 27th, 2010, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby BMannRochester » July 5th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Just did Betsie River Pathway today and it’s marked with all three skill levels on it on the site. I wouldn’t say there are any advanced trail areas out there. The trail is seldom used and it is very narrow in many spots but there are no large grade changes (maybe by the river) and nothing technical. All in all it was good ride though. Also you can tie into Crystal Mountain’s trail system too. Around point #2 there are a ton of two track service roads and another set of marked mountain bike trails from Crystal. Wear long sleeves to beat the leaves.
BMannRochester

Postby lampenj » July 18th, 2011, 2:32 pm

What about the Lost Lake Pathway? That is mentioned on the Sleeping Bear Dunes website as a trail nearby. I'll be up at Glenn Lake (South side; West half) over Labor Day and would love to find a great trail 30ish minutes away or less. Anyone know of anything going on at the old Sugar Loaf ski area?
lampenj

Return to NMMBA