Want New Trails in Northville? Act FAST! 7-MILE PROPERTY!

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association topics.

Postby scat silvurz » October 5th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Hello there, let me introduce myself. I'm Scott Silvers, your MMBA Metro South Chapter Treasurer. As you may or may not know, Northville Township is currently developing

Let me introduce myself, I'm Scott Silvers, Treasurer for the Metro South Chapter of the Michigan Mountain Biking Association [MMBA]. One of our MMBA chapter members, Jeff Oles, has been tracking the progress for developing conceptual use plans for Northville Township's property at 7 mile [the old Northville State Regional Psychiatric Hospital]. The MMBA would like to make sure that Mountain Bike Trails have a place in any plan Northville Township chooses to persue. Jeff informed me that Northville Township is formulating preliminary plans for developing the Property, and has public commentary/suggestions/input open til October 15. I've reviewed all four concept plans on Northville Township's website, and they are very well put together. I'm in the Architecture business, and realize that these plans are vitally important for the Township to digest all the different factors for developing the 7 mile Property. Which is why I'm asking you Northville Residents for help.

The MMBA is very interested with the prospect of mountain bike trails for the 7-mile Property, which is why I'd like to extend an invitation to you - an MMBA Member, or non-Member, to please review, and comment on, the plans displayed on Northville Township's website. Here is the link for the Conceptual Master Plans:http://northvillemich.com/index.aspx?page=278 y . Each of the four plans has a feedback survey to comment on, but only Concept 'D' has mountain bike trails shown on it. We'd like to see comments for all four plans that indicate that Mountain Bike Trails should be considered on all plans. The MMBA has gone onto the property, with a Township official two years ago, to investigate the possibility of placing mountain bike trails on the Property, where we discovered that there are a lot of unique opportunities for interesting and sustainable trails out there. There's truly hilly terrain, and lots of awesome forest terrain. I've also been in contact with the Project Manager from Stantec [the company developing the plans], and he is eager to use the MMBA as a resource to implement MTB trails for whatever development option the Township decides to pursue. My contact at Stantec also stressed the critical importance of getting potential users [especially Northville residents!] to involve themselves in this initial public commentary session that expires October 15th. It's all about getting our iron in the fire at the front end of this project - later is too late!

So, If you agree that it would be a fine thing to have Mountain Bike Trails, on the 7-mile Property, now is your chance to really make a difference. I implore you to take advantage of this golden opportunity.

Thanks for listening, and happy trails!
Scott Silvers
MMBA Metro South Chapter Treasurer
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Re: Want New Trails in Northville? Act FAST! 7-MILE PROPER

Postby scat silvurz » October 7th, 2011, 8:03 pm

bump!
scat silvurz

Postby J/C » November 18th, 2011, 11:06 am

Thanks Scott for keeping up on this. I'm only a Northville resident for 50-some hours a week (work at a dyno lab at 5 mile & Beck), but I think it would be great to have another trail system nearby. I see the surveys are done as of Oct 28. Please keep us posted on how things are moving along. Do you know if the plan is to break ground in 2012? I could help with trailbuilding.
John
J/C

Postby tstefani » December 13th, 2011, 8:06 pm

AVL???
tstefani

Postby J/C » December 14th, 2011, 3:25 pm

tstefani wrote:AVL???

Nope, much smaller neighbor and competitor, Meiden Tech Center. Only five test cells now, but the parent company, Meidensha, is the Japanese equivalent to General Electric.
J/C

Postby tstefani » December 15th, 2011, 10:10 am

I work at Isuzu commerce center and beck as a dyno tech lol small world
tstefani

Postby IBrake4Squirrels » January 2nd, 2012, 3:55 am

Anything ever happen about these trails? I am from Northville and plan on riding this spring..

[PB]
,.-~' Squirrel '~-.,

2012 Specialized Carve
IBrake4Squirrels

Postby tstefani » January 2nd, 2012, 6:38 pm

the concept part is finished they are going to release what concept they are going to use towards the end of January

http://www.twp.northville.mi.us/index.a ... ecordid=98
tstefani

Postby IBrake4Squirrels » January 2nd, 2012, 8:37 pm

Well, our future looks promising. I may be misreading the data but of all the ones up there, mountian bike trails seem the most realistic. Not sure how much money will be budgeted toward this project, but I sure hope they save even a tiny portion of that land and use it for bike trails. I would be happy as *beep*. Hah. Although, it just dawned on me, these won't be done for quite some time, but still, pretty exciting.
,.-~' Squirrel '~-.,

2012 Specialized Carve
IBrake4Squirrels

Postby Loren » January 2nd, 2012, 10:17 pm

There are many community interests and needs that must be balanced, but from what I understand it seems likely that an area will be available for singletrack. It probably isn't going to be a long, destination trail and it certainly won't have the geography of Highland, but it can still be interesting and worthwhile.

We've shared our desire that Metro South be a partner with the city in the design and development of the mountain bike trail system, and we stand ready as plans firm up.
Loren

Postby IBrake4Squirrels » January 2nd, 2012, 11:25 pm

PM SENT - LOREN
,.-~' Squirrel '~-.,

2012 Specialized Carve
IBrake4Squirrels

Postby scat silvurz » January 5th, 2012, 12:09 pm

The Plan for the park will be released to the public, per Northville's website, on January 26. I've heard rumored that there is a surprising portion of the park held off for mountain biking opportunities. I anticipate that the MMBA will be very fully involved in the survey process that will determine the scope and layout of the eventual mountain bike trail at the Park.

It's definitely going to happen, it just remains to be seen how it turns out.
scat silvurz

Postby IBrake4Squirrels » January 5th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Assuming on the 26th they announce the plans. A nice sized portion goes to us bikers (yay!!), how long would it take from the announcement until it could be officially ride ready? I'm sure there is a lot of prep work to be done but curious for a ballpark guesstamation..

[PB]
,.-~' Squirrel '~-.,

2012 Specialized Carve
IBrake4Squirrels

Postby spokeywheeler » January 5th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I would love to help develop these trails - please post any trail building info when you get the go-ahead.
Thanks!
Rick N.
On my mountain bike I am a human roller coaster.
spokeywheeler

Postby IBrake4Squirrels » January 5th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Sign me up. That'd be awesome to help from very start. I'm in. (Shovel in hand) Ha

[PB]
,.-~' Squirrel '~-.,

2012 Specialized Carve
IBrake4Squirrels

Next

Return to MCMBA