Want New Trails in Northville? Act FAST! 7-MILE PROPERTY!

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association topics.

Re: Want New Trails in Northville? Act FAST! 7-MILE PROPER

Postby J/C » February 16th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Great letter Loren! I checked out the master plan online, and it all looks very promising, with MTB trails as one of the primary features. I work in Northville Twp, and I'd be willing to help with any trail work when the time comes.
J/C

Postby specialized08 » March 22nd, 2012, 7:18 pm

Loren -

Let me start by saying I have been more of a troll throughout the winter months on MMBA, and typically become seasonally active in the summer riding months. Even back when this topic had come about I was immediately enthusiastic. I have grown up in the subdivision directly south of this property (Maple Hill) since I was two years old. I am now, and have been, a residence of the City of Northville for about three years rather than the Township.

I have explored this property, yes, when I was not supposed to throughout my years because it is simply fascinating and an amazing parcel of land. If this begins to be accomplished, please contact me and let me know any way possible I can help out. I mention this now while gladly admitting that I was one of those 900+ people who had completed the survey and pushed for some recreational use!

Keep up the great work,

Blake
Rip it

2012 Activity:
Pending..
specialized08

Postby IBrake4Squirrels » March 31st, 2012, 10:57 pm

I have not officially lived here, just renting an apartment on 8 mile between Meadowbrook and Griswold (Woodland Glenn). I can officially say that when they mentioned making this something that could potentially be used for trial riding I was super stoked. Funny thing is that I have been relatively active on his forum and I don't even own a bike yet, lol. There is a purchase in my near near near future, just waiting for the GF to repay the 300$ I lent her and I'm straight.

I will say, for those who were unable to participate in the signing of the "survey", such as my self, thanks. I found out about this a bit too late and procrastinated like a mother *beep* and I missed it :cry: Thank god the 900+ others out there aren't like me...

Cheers
,.-~' Squirrel '~-.,

2012 Specialized Carve
IBrake4Squirrels

Postby IBrake4Squirrels » April 20th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Have there been any news updates regarding the property or the trails??

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?imcmrj
Sent from my badass iPhone using Tapatalk, Ba Ba BOOYA!
,.-~' Squirrel '~-.,

2012 Specialized Carve
IBrake4Squirrels

Postby bender13 » April 20th, 2012, 1:26 pm

I do not have any updates as of yet. I have requested a walk through with the township so we (MCMBA) can get an idea on what we have to work with in the area designated as the Mountain Bike Park. I do not think it will be open to the public until all hazardous materials and structures have been removed or made safe and that may take a while.

I will post updates as they come along.

Jeff
Trails-Edge Racing
National Mountain Bike Patrol
bender13

Postby TrailSeeker » May 8th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Long-time forum lurker here...

Great news. Hopefully all of these hazardous materials issues can be cleared up, for at least a portion of the property (the part with the trails on it :) )

I'd love to help out in any trail building activities, so please contact me when it gets to that stage.

Also, if the MMBA needs Northville residents to speak up supporting these trails, ping me.
TrailSeeker

Postby Loren » May 8th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Last week, Jeff and I did a quick three hour tour of the mountain bike park site (with permission of Northville, of course). We found a lot of interesting varied terrain: meadow and forest, gentle hills and steep ravines, water features, rocks (lots of rock). And space. There's a lot of potential here for a really nice mountain bike trail.

But it's going to take work. There's not a lot of trash out there, but there's some - old tires, hot water heaters, stuff like that. And of course the buildings. I *think* the only building in the mountain bike park area is an old out house that we came across, but that had an open, deep concrete cistern.

As Jeff wrote, it's going to be quite a while until this is open for public access.
Loren

Postby Sherpaboy » May 13th, 2012, 9:34 pm

I think that small building is an old power building. There is potential for so much out there...Pump track too. The terrain s not flat either...
Trail's Edge Cyclery - We Are Bike Geeks!
Milford - 248.714.9355
Plymouth - 734.420.1200 (NEW LOCATION)
29er, Full suspension, Road, Cross, Family...and much more
Sherpaboy

Postby IBrake4Squirrels » May 13th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Instead of trying to clear all that 'trash' out, we should make it part of the trails. Could be an interesting 'modern' twist on them.. Just an option.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?35ph0v
Sent from my badass iPhone using Tapatalk, Ba Ba BOOYA!
,.-~' Squirrel '~-.,

2012 Specialized Carve
IBrake4Squirrels

Postby PmB » July 31st, 2012, 4:59 pm

Has there been any word on new developments to the property. I hate driving by it and know that it's still not rideable??
_.- Squirrel -._

12' Carve

Maybury :: Lakeshore :: Island Lake :: Addison Oaks
Bald Mountain :: Poto ::
PmB

Postby chris_f » January 11th, 2013, 11:46 am

Northville Psychiatric Hospital property discussed on http://wdet.org/shows/craig-fahle-show/ ... ry-7-2013/, this segment was about 45 minutes in.) Very briefly mentioned mountain bike trails specifically. Most of the focus was on how the revenue from the new U-M hospital development for the corner of 7/Haggerty will then pay for demolition of the old buildings, which will then allow them to open the site for passive recreation.

more:
http://www.freep.com/article/20130102/B ... pital-site
chris_f

Postby chris_f » January 11th, 2013, 11:57 am

chris_f

Previous

Return to MCMBA