Alternate entrance to Island Lake. JC Penney

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association topics.

Postby fsr1 » June 14th, 2012, 9:47 pm

The Unit Manager @ Island Lake contacted me today asking for me to post that this area is not designated for bike use. It appears that in addition to the "bandit" entrance which seems to have been tolerated for some time, that more defined trails are appearing.

The folks raising the flag are volunteers out there trying to control invasive plant species. Their remarks carry a lot of weight. This can only hurt our cause.

Please use the normal entrance and trailhead parking lot. I know using the JC Penney entrance saves a little cash but The Recreation Passport is very cheap and totally worth it!

We are working with the DNR officials to allow us to cut more trails. If the rules aren't respected our chances of increased trail mileage are significantly lessened.

Thank You
Mark Dombrowski
Mark Dombrowski
Asst. Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby mmba7614 » June 14th, 2012, 9:55 pm

FWIW, it has NOTHING to do with buying a rec passport for many that use this connector. I have always purchased the passports for each of my family cars, regardless if that car is likely to venture into state parks. Same with the stickers.

What this connector IS about (okay, at least to me, so naturally I assume everyone else too), is saving 30 minutes of driving for those coming from the West and South, and making it possible to bridge rides from Brighton with out cruising Grand River.

Not saying this to raise a stink, but perhaps if the value of the connector is understood, it is more likely to be accepted as a "for bikes" route

-greg
mmba7614

Re: Alternate entrance to Island Lake. JC Penney

Postby fsr1 » June 14th, 2012, 10:01 pm

mmba7614 wrote:FWIW, it has NOTHING to do with buying a rec passport for many that use this connector. I have always purchased the passports for each of my family cars, regardless if that car is likely to venture into state parks. Same with the stickers.

What this connector IS about (okay, at least to me, so naturally I assume everyone else too), is saving 30 minutes of driving for those coming from the West and South, and making it possible to bridge rides from Brighton with out cruising Grand River.

Not saying this to raise a stink, but perhaps if the value of the connector is understood, it is more likely to be accepted as a "for bikes" route

-greg

Great point! I'll speak with park management tomorrow to get a better feel for their position.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby barrybs » June 14th, 2012, 10:21 pm

There is an official trailhead/Kiosk in the corner of the parking lot that someone must have authorized. I think it even has some photos of bikes on it. The biggest problem with bandit riding/rogue trail development out there is from the ATV crowd that has been riding there longer than we have. I really think they are mistaking ATV with bike use. It's pretty sandy out there and I think most cyclists head straight to the Blue trail.

I always purchase DNR Recreational Passports for all my vehicles. As stated above it is a big time saver for those of us to the south and west, not a matter of money.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby fsr1 » June 14th, 2012, 10:36 pm

barrybs wrote:There is an official trailhead/Kiosk in the corner of the parking lot that someone must have authorized. I think it even has some photos of bikes on it. The biggest problem with bandit riding/rogue trail development out there is from the ATV crowd that has been riding there longer than we have. I really think they are mistaking ATV with bike use. It's pretty sandy out there and I think most cyclists head straight to the Blue trail.

I always purchase DNR Recreational Passports for all my vehicles. As stated above it is a big time saver for those of us to the south and west, not a matter of money.

Barry

I was unaware of this never having used this entrance.

Let's assume that the original trail in is okay but any additional trails will be frowned upon. I'll get further clarification tomorrow. Thanks.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby Di_bear » June 15th, 2012, 9:05 am

I do agree with the implied argument that driving to the trailhead is a pain in the ass. If I frequently rode Island Lake, I would not want to do this day after day.
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby fsr1 » June 15th, 2012, 9:37 am

Di_bear wrote:I do agree with the implied argument that driving to the trailhead is a pain in the ass. If I frequently rode Island Lake, I would not want to do this day after day.

Well yeah! It is PITA to drive there from Mt Clemens! :D
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby Di_bear » June 15th, 2012, 2:18 pm

fsr1 wrote:
Di_bear wrote:I do agree with the implied argument that driving to the trailhead is a pain in the ass. If I frequently rode Island Lake, I would not want to do this day after day.

Well yeah! It is PITA to drive there from Mt Clemens! :D

Yes, that is very true, but you know what I mean. At least driving TO Island Lake, I get to go fast. I can't do that in the park. ;-)
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

Postby Loren » June 15th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Won't be long before you'll be able to bike in from the east side, probably beating Friday afternoon freeway traffic.
Loren

Postby Redstone Liger » June 15th, 2012, 4:07 pm

I still park at the park and ride and jump in right across the street. It is evident fewer people are using the old entrance at the DNR no shooting sign. The PnR lot is 5-10 minutes away which makes ILRA a perfect ride when I'm short on time. If I had to travel 23N in rush hr to get to the main entrance I'd never ride IL unless I was with a newb. Poto, Brighton, and A2 would all be closer.
Scott

“All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.”
Gordie Howe
Redstone Liger

Postby Di_bear » June 15th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Loren wrote:Won't be long before you'll be able to bike in from the east side, probably beating Friday afternoon freeway traffic.

I'll leave that task to c0nsumer.
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

Postby jalopy jockey » June 15th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Not familiar with this island lake alternate entrace as I've only been to Island Lake a couple times, but I am very familiar with the reason some will use an alternate entrace. I almost never use the main entrace to Stony to ride unless I am on a road ride, and I chose to RIDE into the park through that entrance. I honestly can't remember the last time I drove to the trailhead to ride except on raceday. The 20 minutes it takes to drive around and through the park is just not worth a bathroom that i can ride to in 5 minutes.

I once got in an arguement with someone who told me to buy a pass when I went XC skiing. I told him to STFU and look at my winshield. he apologized after seeing 4 park stickers, Rochester Hills, Oakland County, Metropark, and State.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby RMXByker » June 18th, 2012, 6:21 am

Same pot as you jalopy. I have the parks passes but hardly use them. I rarely drive into Stony. I could see why someone would not want to drive through IL.
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2006 Bianchi M.U.S.S. (MTN Single Speed)
2007 26" Specialized Epic Marathon (Geared full squish)
2011 Salsa Vaya (Do all bike)
RMXByker

Postby Di_bear » June 18th, 2012, 10:29 am

I prefer to drive into Stony, but I drive by the entrance to the school anyway. Therefore, I just go in and use the bathroom, the freedom to pop open a beer at the trailhead, and the grills. :-D
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

Postby vette-ss » June 18th, 2012, 11:23 am

Another vote for Rec Pass on every vehicle I own but still use the JC Penny inlet for a convenience factor (it is much quicker access, depending on which direction you are coming from). I guess I'm also not up to speed on the inner workings of invasive plant species, but how does a trail through the woods promote growth, or why is this caused by the trail? Where are the invasive plants coming from, other MI woodlands? Why is this only a problem on the connector and not all of blue and yellow? Inquiring minds want to know.
vette-ss

Next

Return to MCMBA