CRAMBA Trailer Tool Theft

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association topics.

CRAMBA Trailer Tool Theft

Postby Spinwheel » August 2nd, 2013, 8:40 pm

With the recent news about CRAMBA's loss of tools due to theft, i wondered if our tools and trailer are covered by insurance in case of theft? If so is cost of new tools covered 100%?

Thank-you,
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Re: CRAMBA Trailer Tool Theft

Postby Loren » August 2nd, 2013, 9:32 pm

We have about 18 months remaining on a three year policy on our trailer. The insurance policy covers depreciated value (not replacement costs) and has a $500 deductible. It's also astronomically expensive. Commercial insurance is a very different thing than residential or personal property insurance. At our next renewal, the cost would be about $1300/year.

My recommendation to whomever is on the board at renewal time is that we self insure going forward, as cramba has done.
Loren

Postby utabintarbo » August 3rd, 2013, 5:53 pm

Loren wrote:We have about 18 months remaining on a three year policy on our trailer. The insurance policy covers depreciated value (not replacement costs) and has a $500 deductible. It's also astronomically expensive. Commercial insurance is a very different thing than residential or personal property insurance. At our next renewal, the cost would be about $1300/year.

My recommendation to whomever is on the board at renewal time is that we self insure going forward, as cramba has done.

Even if we had the insurance in place (rather than self-insuring), we would have only netted out ~$500 (IIRC) to go towards new tools. Given the cost, that's really not a good investment.

My recommendation to the CRAMBA board (and this will work for MCMBA as well) was to put a good chunk of the cost of the insurance into a "sinking fund" for just such a situation. Unfortunately, we got hit early, and the sinking fund was pretty small. But if this happened in 3-4 years, we probably would have barely felt it (financially, anyway :P ).
utabintarbo

Postby Sortaslow » August 3rd, 2013, 6:28 pm

Why can't you just sit in the trailer and act as a security guard Bob? Be a good use of all of that free time you have. ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Sortaslow

Postby utabintarbo » August 4th, 2013, 12:59 am

Sortaslow wrote:Why can't you just sit in the trailer and act as a security guard Bob? Be a good use of all of that free time you have. ;-)

I'm ascared of the dark. :cry:
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » October 2nd, 2013, 10:30 am

I just wanted to announce that, thanks to generous donations received by CRAMBA-IMBA, we have been able to replace all of the stolen tools.

Please read this post on cramba.org for more information: http://www.cramba.org/2013/10/02/stihl- ... purchased/
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Return to MCMBA