Detroit Bike City Expo, Saturday @ Cobo

For discussing Motor City Mountain Biking Association topics.

Detroit Bike City Expo, Saturday @ Cobo

Postby Loren » March 26th, 2014, 6:51 am

CRAMBA and MCMBA will be hosting a booth again this year. Come by and say hi, buy cool stuff, renew memberships!

http://www.detroitbikecity.org/
Loren

Re: Detroit Bike City Expo, Saturday @ Cobo

Postby Loren » March 29th, 2014, 7:33 am

Today!
Loren

Postby '02 nrs » January 3rd, 2015, 6:40 pm

is this to replace the MMBA expo previously held in Lansing with a donation entrance fee for 2015? $12. entrance?
'02 nrs

Postby Di_bear » January 3rd, 2015, 6:46 pm

No. This is hosted by a different organization. We are simply a vendor renting a booth. The MMBA is currently undergoing restructuring.
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
MCMBA Public Relations Coordinator
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby '02 nrs » January 3rd, 2015, 6:54 pm

OK thanks. hopefully the expo will be where most can attend during non Winter months.Stoney Creek maybe?
'02 nrs

Postby Loren » January 3rd, 2015, 7:03 pm

At present, there are no plans for an MMBA expo this year. Instead, look for an IMBA/MMBA/local chapter presence at other events throughout the state, like the Detroit Bike City expo (march 28th this year, I believe), the Quiet Waters symposium in Lansing, and races and rides throughout the year.
Loren

Postby xcrdr » January 3rd, 2015, 7:38 pm

I am wondering the same thing. Is this something that would somewhat fill the void? I will truly miss not having an Expo this year and would like to attend something similar.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby '02 nrs » January 4th, 2015, 2:02 pm

first non expo in how many years makes one wonder what else the IMBA merge will result in.seems the expo would a $$$ maker so must be more to the subject.
'02 nrs

Postby c0nsumer » January 4th, 2015, 2:29 pm

'02 nrs wrote:first non expo in how many years makes one wonder what else the IMBA merge will result in.seems the expo would a $$$ maker so must be more to the subject.

I personally think that Detroit Bike City is a much more interesting event than any MMBA Expo I've attended, and I'm glad that the local IMBA chapters have a presence there. It does well for us and is good for attracting both current members and reaching out to the general public.

The MMBA Expo was nicer for seeing MMBA/IMBA/MTB people from all across the state, but in the years I've attended (2010 and on, or so) it felt to me like more of a navel-gazing party than something that'd attract both members and new people alike. Maybe it was the big/sprawling venue and sparse vendor area, but it felt to me like an event that kept happening solely because it kept happening, not because it had a strong sense of purpose.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby dirt » January 5th, 2015, 9:44 am

'02 nrs wrote:first non expo in how many years makes one wonder what else the IMBA merge will result in.seems the expo would a $$$ maker so must be more to the subject.

The MMBA expo was never a money making effort by the MMBA, and really, it's main purpose for existing was the meet the bylaw requirement of one open membership meeting a year where the elections for the 4 At Large board member positions could occur.

About a half dozen years ago, the election was turned into an electronic election (responding to membership input) and it was moved to Lansing when the old venue just became too small. Although there was a lot of pressure to make it more centrally located for members outside of SE Michigan area, but at the same time, that affected the attendance by SE Michigan vendors.

Honestly, across all industries, face to faces meetings/trade shows are becoming a thing of the past. Swap meets replaced by eBay/Craigslist/FB groups, vendor information is gathered off the internet rather than face to face, and the biggest hurdle: Having part time volunteers organize a large event is a difficult effort. Even when we had an ED, they spend dozens and dozens of hours putting the expo together, and that was all time that WASN'T being spent on other efforts. Only so many volunteers with only so much time, and there is always more to do then gets done, so decisions have to be made about how the time is best spend.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby '02 nrs » January 6th, 2015, 2:23 pm

"Honestly, across all industries, face to faces meetings/trade shows are becoming a thing of the past. Swap meets replaced by eBay/Craigslist/FB groups, vendor information is gathered off the internet rather than face to face." try & convince those who put on Interbike-http://www.interbike.com/static/pdf/IB14_Event_Report_Square_Final_LR.pdf is there a better venue for a bicycle dealer to exhibit their products in one place at one time either on a big stage or locally? after it left Springfield Oaks I think the turnout dropped.how about taking a vote to expo or no expo?
'02 nrs

Postby c0nsumer » January 6th, 2015, 2:42 pm

'02 nrs wrote:"Honestly, across all industries, face to faces meetings/trade shows are becoming a thing of the past. Swap meets replaced by eBay/Craigslist/FB groups, vendor information is gathered off the internet rather than face to face." try & convince those who put on Interbike-http://www.interbike.com/static/pdf/IB14_Event_Report_Square_Final_LR.pdf is there a better venue for a bicycle dealer to exhibit their products in one place at one time either on a big stage or locally?

A commercial expo is much different from a non-profit expo. And comparing Interbike (the world's biggest cycling expo) to the MMBA expo is a bit laughable.

'02 nrs wrote:how about taking a vote to expo or no expo?

...and then what? If the vote is "yes", hope that people magically materialize to run it?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Di_bear » January 12th, 2015, 4:47 pm

And then there really aren't any funds to blow on an expo.
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
MCMBA Public Relations Coordinator
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Return to MCMBA