Silverton Mountain, CO POV Heli skiing.

Hiking, adventure racing, winter sports, triathlons, etc.

Silverton Mountain, CO POV Heli skiing.

Postby Bcar » February 21st, 2012, 9:05 pm

Day 1 of the trip. Nothing like living at 600', acclimating for 14 hours, and going to Silverton with only 2 days at Alpine under my belt :lol:
They were running a 2 for 1 heli drops so we just couldn't turn it down... It was great thigh burnin day!

For those that dont know, Silverton is in SE CO, and an expert only mountain, have to have a guide for the majority of the season and full avi kits required. The lodge is a yurt with old car backseats and a bar, ski patrol/ski rentals are located in an old school bus, and there is only 1 chairlift that you hike anywhere from 0 min to 4 hours from. Yet its one of the best ski areas in the world. There were maybe 80 total skiers here on this day, a somewhat "crowded" day. You'll get from 2-6 or so runs a day (depending on how much/long you want to hike for the goods and betters) and you'll be super stoked, and blown (unless you live out there and do this stuff every day). Nothing like hiking at 13,000'+.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuUV2wcm ... e=youtu.be
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Re: Silverton Mountain, CO POV Heli skiing.

Postby mtbfree » February 22nd, 2012, 7:42 am

Ohh, man... that looks soo good. Nice edit. Silverton is on my to-do list for sure, but haven't made it there yet.

However, I think if I hear that song in one more action sports video, I'm going to hurt someone :mrgreen:
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Awolnation, but two minutes before I clicked your link, I was watching an mtb video on Pinkbike with the same soundtrack :lol:
I'm just here to ride...

-'09 Turner DHR
-Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby Bcar » February 23rd, 2012, 12:12 pm

mtbfree wrote:Ohh, man... that looks soo good. Nice edit. Silverton is on my to-do list for sure, but haven't made it there yet.

However, I think if I hear that song in one more action sports video, I'm going to hurt someone :mrgreen:
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Awolnation, but two minutes before I clicked your link, I was watching an mtb video on Pinkbike with the same soundtrack :lol:

Thanks, and yes I know, it is the move overplayed/used video song in recent times, but I still like it and thought it would fit well. I edited out all our flailing/hitting trees/crappy snow. Now I just want to get back! Or get hired as a guide there!
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby WildWoody » February 27th, 2012, 7:21 am

Pretty cool...
WildWoody

Postby Bernard Smith » March 8th, 2012, 2:01 pm

At first I was thinking of Silverton Co., north of Durango, in the San Juans. Looks like the base was deep at that elevation, above tree line. That glade skiing looks great, is that area free of avalanche threat?
bernie
Bernard Smith

Postby Bcar » March 12th, 2012, 10:11 am

Bernard Smith wrote:At first I was thinking of Silverton Co., north of Durango, in the San Juans. Looks like the base was deep at that elevation, above tree line. That glade skiing looks great, is that area free of avalanche threat?
bernie

yep, thats the silverton mtn, between Durango and Ouray, in the San Juans right near Red Mountain pass. they had a pretty good base when we were there.
Avi danger was moderate to considerable when we were there, depending on elevation and aspect. The San Juans and the contental snowpack in general are not that great for avi danger until late spring. We felt some whoomphing and I was able to trigger one crack. The snow near the ground is total crap/depth hoar this season = super scary on some days. No a good year for avi danger.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby alexyoung » March 13th, 2012, 8:43 am

That was really, really cool! Thanks for sharing!
alexyoung

Postby mtnbikinbryno » March 22nd, 2012, 3:23 pm

How many drops did you do? Looks like a *beep* good time.

How've you been? I haven't checked in on MMBA in forever. I didn't get to go out west this year, :( my partners hit up cat skiing in Idaho and MT but that was the week before our Boyne show and I had to man the fort.

Not sure if I ever posted the video from our March 2011 trip to BC? Some of these dudes were going offfffff. We were in some gnarly terrain because of the filming, and still managed to hit a few milk runs on the glaciers. The heli was HUGE, fit 10 of us at a time, and camera gear.

http://vimeo.com/28143662 - for a bigger view

Let me know when you're heading out again and we'll get you some demos. We've got a new all mountain ski that kills it in places like Silverton and Jackson.
mtnbikinbryno

Postby iamkickstand » March 28th, 2012, 12:47 pm

badass....extremely jealous, my big ski trip was too the greens on boyne with my 6 year old.
iamkickstand

Postby Bcar » March 29th, 2012, 11:52 am

goooood times, wish I was still out there :( we only did 2 heli drops, the rest of the short hikes were still pretty *beep* good. snow was a tad windblown and variable, but thats silverton. Didnt do much straight lining/high speed as the snow wasnt great for it, and sometimes I like making 50 turns vs. 5 at warp speed.

The snow at wolfcreek 8 days later (and a few posts down from this one in outdoor lifestyle) was waaaay better, but not as steep nor as long of pitches, but unreal conditions and totally empty. may still take a last min trip to slc if they get a big dump on a weekend when flights are cheap, but not looking good...

mtnbikinbryno, me love demos (as long as wider than 105mm underfoot)! and some of those pillow lines were off the hook, my fav type of line, pillows in the trees, ahhh....
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby petoskeyguy » October 18th, 2012, 10:31 am

yeah, you'll have to wax 'em up for the pillow lines in N. Mich again this year man... did you buy that tele rig yet?
petoskeyguy

Postby jfactor! » October 25th, 2012, 7:24 am

mtbfree wrote:

jfactor!

Postby jfactor! » October 25th, 2012, 7:43 am

BTW, your video is great!!! Makes me want to go skiing :)
jfactor!

Return to Outdoor Lifestyle