HCP Epic trail day and fall color ride September 25th

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

HCP Epic trail day and fall color ride September 25th

Postby Nelg » June 29th, 2010, 7:57 pm

**New dates**

Save the date for the next High Country Pathway trail day! We have some cool improvements brewing that we'll need plenty of volunteers to complete. For those of you who have never ridden the HCP or the Shingle Mill Pathway this will be a great chance to experience a true wilderness trail in the heart of Elk country. There is a reason why the 80 mile loop was badged as an IMBA Epic and we'd love for you to see why by joining us in a day of work and a weekend of play on this truly unique trail.

We'll be camping at Clear Lake in the group camp site on Friday September 24th and Saturday September 25th with the work day starting at 8:00 on Saturday and finishing up at 1:00 to leave plenty of light to go ride. We'll be looking for some additional tools for the weekend in the form of post hole diggers a couple shovels and two or three cordless drills and a couple bubble levels, if you have them, please bring them. As with any trail day, bring plenty of water and any snacks you may need, we'll be providing lunch to all volunteers and your camping for the weekend is free at the group site.

Clear Lake campground is located on M33 approximately 9 miles north of Atlanta and 16 miles south of Onaway. The group site is fairly primitive, however we'll have access to showers, water, etc. at the regular camping area. If you prefer hookups for a trailer or camper reserving a site for the weekend should be no problem.

Come on up and experience the vistas from Rattle Snake Hill, the stunning blue waters of Section 4 lake, story book cedar swamps, boardwalks that stretch forever and the miles and miles of deep canopied hardwoods that make up the High Country and Shingle Mill Pathways.
Last edited by Nelg on September 15th, 2010, 11:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Re: High Country Pathway Trail Day August 7th

Postby feldpaj » July 1st, 2010, 8:25 am

my lil-sisters wedding is on the 7th. Think she'd be mad if i missed it :lol:

Might be able to make it up on the 28th.
to do: bike-eat-brew beer-drink beer-board-hunt-sleep-work-
feldpaj

Re: HCP Epic trail day and fall color ride September 25th

Postby Nelg » September 8th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Just two more weeks away! Come help on an IMBA epic and ride some of the most scenic trails in the lower peninsula.
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby purple helmet » September 9th, 2010, 6:30 am

sooooo, you're not planning on working Sunday then?? Those of us with 10+ hrs of drive time are riding all day Saturday....

More than willing to work 9-2 on Sunday

This "trail day" sure seems to be complicating everything...

If you add a trail day on Sunday after our usual Saturday ride I think you will get a much better turnout. I think we both know how many people come up there for trail days :roll:

I could even see a Sunday trail day becoming an annual tradition. But there is just too much history behind the Fun50 to screw it up for a trail day...

If you're working Sunday too I'll start a new thread for just the Fun50 ride, as usual, but with an added bonus of Sunday trail work. If you're not working Sunday all bets are off and I see mass confusion Friday night/Saturday morning...
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby Nelg » September 9th, 2010, 8:25 am

http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=29

Fun 50 ride on Saturday and 50 riders work Sunday. Non 50 riders work Saturday and ride in the afternoon and on Sunday if desired.

The short version is that REI is giving us a grant to cover all the materials for the project, but we had to delay it by a few weeks while we waited for an answer on the grant approval. Getting the bulk of the signage work done in the fall allows us to concentrate on trail clearing in the spring. Pushing it to October is not much of an option because it starts getting pretty darn cold at night.

This will not be a normal re-occuring event, it's a one time deal to complete what we had set in motion earlier this summer and to prevent doubling or tripling our work in the spring. I'll be happy to discuss the timing of the trail day and the reasons behind it on the phone if you want more detail, PM me your number and I'll be happy to give you a call.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby purple helmet » September 9th, 2010, 8:44 am

makes sense now. just confused. happens when i surf before coffee...

I'll plan on working Sunday and bringing tools mentioned earlier...
purple helmet

Postby purple helmet » September 9th, 2010, 8:52 am

Nelg wrote:http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=98321&start=29

oh and this still says "epic trail day" instead of "ride" :wink:
purple helmet

Return to Volunteers Needed